PDA

View Full Version : Equipment:No Matter What.........

Motiv Girl
03-19-2010, 10:36 PM
.........when it comes to equipment - a good bowler is going to be good no matter what
equipment they use (as long as the equipment fits properly and they like what they
are using),just as a bad bowler is going to be bad regardless of their equipment.

Bowlers seem to be willing to spent a lot of money on new equipment in exchange
for marginal improvement in scores,if any.What would happen if you were to spend
that money on developing a game through lessons.

I know why bowlers would rather spend their money on equipment.It's easy,it's quick,
it's relatively painless,and you get something shiny and new. Let's face it,buying a new
ball is exciting and we all like to do it.

On the other hand,when you learn the basics of sound fundamentals and try to apply
them,it's painful and frustrating,and you don't get anything material to show for it.
But if you stick with it,you'll develop a better game,which translates into better scores
and more enjoyment.Anyone who bowls would love to improve,whether they will
admit it or not.How hard are you willing to work to improve? If not very much,then
buy a new ball,but make sure the fit is proper.When you buy a new ball,the brand
really doesn't matter as long as it comes from a quality company,and you like it.

Beech
03-19-2010, 11:46 PM
I like this, im sortof of the opposite. i was throwing a Hammer road hawg for a year getting little look with not really a lesson was at a couple but that was hitting the 10pin. Once i switched pro shops and he got me the equipment, i went from a 130 bower to a 190-200 bowler. But he also taught me what to do and what to pratice so i guess it goes hand in hand you need both to have a good avg.

randwool
03-22-2010, 11:43 PM
A lesson would be nice to have to recheck the basics. With a camcorder, you can be shown exactly what you're doing wrong and right. As a visual learner, that's what I need.

TheRog
05-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree, I only carry to bowling balls with me a Storm VG and a Storm 2D and I bowl just fine with them and I average a 218 on my league and I only bowl 1 a week. Then you have people that bowl 4-5 times a week and have like 10 balls with them and they barely carry a 200 average and there always going to the back and bring out a different ball. There is no way I want to many bowling balls because it would be just to hard to figure out which ball to use. I believe a REALLY good bowler should be able to bowl with only 1 ball and if starts to now work correctly then adjust with that one. To many people don't want to move and want to keep throwing at the same arrow.

Gemfire
05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I was carrying two balls, but I learned to pick up the 10 pin with my Dark Star, so that's the only one I carry now. I find I do better if I'm not constantly switching balls.

mdmjdm
05-11-2010, 08:34 PM
I only take 2 to league, cause I know the shot. If I can't hit it with those 2, I'm just destined to have a bad night.

Tournaments, however, I bring all 6. They are NOT, however, different balls with the same layout. That is the mistake I see TONS of people make...changing balls with no idea of WHY, just for the sake of it. 2 balls with middle pins, one sanded one polished for midlane arcs, 2 more for later in the lane, pins a little higher, and two that are just for late in the tourney, when the shots go DEEP inside. All Morich.

The effect that draws people to new equipment is the carry out of the box. Newer balls DO carry better, cause they are free of oil in the coverstock, and therefore have more continuation and drive through the pins.

Resin balls soak oil and MUST be cleaned after each use...AND get the oil baked out every 100 games or so. They will hit like new...

It goes without saying that you must get your fundamentals sound before getting new equipment. When I'm in a slump, the LAST thing I look at is the ball...I look in the mirror first.

mrbill
05-12-2010, 01:45 AM
I only take 2 to league, cause I know the shot. If I can't hit it with those 2, I'm just destined to have a bad night.

Tournaments, however, I bring all 6. They are NOT, however, different balls with the same layout. That is the mistake I see TONS of people make...changing balls with no idea of WHY, just for the sake of it. 2 balls with middle pins, one sanded one polished for midlane arcs, 2 more for later in the lane, pins a little higher, and two that are just for late in the tourney, when the shots go DEEP inside. All Morich.

The effect that draws people to new equipment is the carry out of the box. Newer balls DO carry better, cause they are free of oil in the coverstock, and therefore have more continuation and drive through the pins.

Resin balls soak oil and MUST be cleaned after each use...AND get the oil baked out every 100 games or so. They will hit like new...

It goes without saying that you must get your fundamentals sound before getting new equipment. When I'm in a slump, the LAST thing I look at is the ball...I look in the mirror first.

I Have been bowling more small turneys lately and the last one had the scorpion pattern.
My 3 balls I like to throw did not fit this pattern at all.
This and some other turneys made me see how many holes I have in my Arsenal, so insted of buying new I got some great deals on used realy good balls, A few years old but top of the line or close to it hehe.
All differnt layouts and differnt shaped cores.
I get the proshop for $20 bucks to put a interchangable insert in them all and use the same thumb for all my balls, well I have 2 differnt thumbs I use depending on swelling and other things.
I don't have them all done yet but I'll post how they work later....

TheRog
05-12-2010, 08:48 AM
I Have been bowling more small turneys lately and the last one had the scorpion pattern.
My 3 balls I like to throw did not fit this pattern at all.
This and some other turneys made me see how many holes I have in my Arsenal, so insted of buying new I got some great deals on used realy good balls, A few years old but top of the line or close to it hehe.
All differnt layouts and differnt shaped cores.
I get the proshop for $20 bucks to put a interchangable insert in them all and use the same thumb for all my balls, well I have 2 differnt thumbs I use depending on swelling and other things.
I don't have them all done yet but I'll post how they work later....

I just got the interchange thumbs in my two balls I only have throwing 2 games with it in and wow really like them a lot.