PDA

View Full Version : Diamondback good for home oil patterns?

Paralipsis
03-21-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm not in a league at the moment, and I'm getting increasingly irritated with the house balls. Very few fit my hands (generally only use two fingers and my forearm to hold it...I'm a shoveler). I've got small hands and fingers that fit into XL (I think), finger holes. It's my knuckles that kill me with a ball. I've got HUGE knuckles. Why? Multiple breaks, fractures, and dislocations in my years of sports. I'm currently looking for a good starter ball. The Brunswick Diamondback looks like a good option for me. It fits my style of bowling, not to mention, it's quite versatile if I decide to change something.

What do you guys think? Good starter ball? I'm also attracted to it because of it's price. Found it on two sites...varies from 95-105 bucks. Not bad, in my opinion.

Strike Domination
03-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Don't forget to figure in the drilling cost if you're buying online. It sounds like you're going to want to use your thumb, so I'm not really sure how the Diamondback will work for you because you haven't established a style. Rev rate, rotation, tilt, speed, and conditions are things people would need to know in order to guess a good choice. Since this would be your first ball you don't want something too strong in case you have some revs but you don't want something that's not going to hook in case there's actually plenty of oil. The Diamondback would be fine if you end up having lower revs and/or there's a decent amount of oil. Something more along the lines of the Avalanche series, Fast, or dark Star would be better if you are going to have a good amount of revs or the lanes are dry.

Paralipsis
03-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I do put a lot of revs on the ball. I've managed to get the cheap house balls to do nearly a full lane break with slow ball speed, massive revs, and on late/butchered/dry-ish lane conditions. I did use the Wild Card ball not to long ago using my two handed release as it was a heavier ball, and it curved way too much for my tastes. Sooo..

EDIT: Diamondback, Python or Avalanche Slide. I bowl later in the day which generally means dry-ish, broken down, and well used lane conditions on house oil pattern. I'm twisted between the Diamondback and Avalanche Slide. I'm a shoveler who puts quite a fair bit of revs on the ball as well as a medium ball speed. Opinions? Oh, and I rarely use my thumb. The only time I do, is when I'm bowling straight to pick up a single pin.

Strike Domination
03-23-2010, 04:38 AM
The Python or or Avalanche Pearl/Slide are the obvious choices to me, for a medium speed rev dominant bowler.

Paralipsis
03-23-2010, 09:57 PM
The Python is pretty attractive to me at the moment. Been watching video after video of it, and I love the late reaction it has. Unless I'm thinking of a different ball. Been going over the Brunswick video over and over again, and the different styles of bowling. That's what attracted me to the Diamondback in the first place. I'll have to tinker around and test a few different models before I finally decide. I'm stuck between the Diamondback and the Python. I'm also looking for a ball that's versatile and adjustable to different styles of bowling as I finally decide what style fits me the best.

Strike Domination
03-24-2010, 01:27 AM
A more versatile choice would probably be the Hy-Road. I think it's between the Python and Diamondback but I hear it's pretty easy to get different reactions with it through layout and surface adjustments.

Paralipsis
03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Do pro shops have pre-drilled balls that you can use for testing?

Strike Domination
03-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Some do, I know one or two around here that do.

Paralipsis
03-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Hopefully the center in Rockingham has pre-drilled balls. I'd love to test the Diamondback, Avalanche, Python, and Hy-Road.

Settled on a 14 pounder. Time to just stick with the two handed bowling technique and get good at it.