PDA

View Full Version : I need help getting started

mbg1977
03-21-2010, 07:21 PM
This is my first post on this forum. My name is Matt and the nuts and bolts of it this is I would like to get started bowling. I really havent bowled since the age 11 and being in my mid 30's I would like to do something that is fun, the great thing is I am well rested:p

I played baseball all my life, couple of years in college, that being said I have no clue how to begin doing this other than getting a ball and shooting a score. Well my competitve nature wont just let me have fun if i am gonna do this I might as well do it right. I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area so if there are any board members that live in the area tell me where i need to go.

That being said I have a couple of questions and please feel free to add on anything I may have not thought about.

1. Should I take lessons right away.
2. Should I use a house ball until I get my feet wet.
3. How do I go about starting a handicap.
4. Should I join a league or wait?
5. What other equipment will I need (I have seen many things, and I dont believe in quick fixes).

Sorry if this seems like a ramble but honestly I have no clue how to get started. :confused::confused:

Thanks for any advice that you have.
Matt

bowl1820
03-21-2010, 08:18 PM
1. Should I take lessons right away.
Coaching is always a plus, if you don't have some friends to help get you started. Then a couple of beginner lessons to get you started won't hurt.

2. Should I use a house ball until I get my feet wet.
I'd start out right get your own ball. A properly fitted ball, feels lighter, helps you bowl better.

3. How do I go about starting a handicap.
You'll get a handicap when you join league. Each league/tournament can have different handicap.
The handicap system will be set by the league your on and based on your average.

4. Should I join a league or wait?
Yes now most winter leagues are coming up on the end of season. So the summer leagues will be starting soon.Summer league is a good time to get your feet wet, they are smaller and have a shorter season. It will give you a good feel how they work and get use to the competition.

5. What other equipment will I need (I have seen many things, and I don't believe in quick fixes).

A good entry level ball, your own bowling shoes ( a good pair of shoes is almost more important than the ball.), a bag and towel will get you started.

PSBA10
03-21-2010, 11:54 PM
I agree with everything Bowl1820 said. I would like to emphasize the coaching and lessons though. It will be far easier to learn the right way than to have to re-learn after you have established bad habits. Being an athlete you know about muscle memory and how hard it is to change once it becomes routine.

mbg1977
03-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I will get started on this! I will keep you updated on the progress.

Motiv Girl
03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Just about anyone can become capable of making impressive improvement. The reason is that to improve, you first have to have an understanding of how a swing is learned and you have to develop the right outlook. Once you understand the learning process and get into the right frame of mind, you will then have the best chance to make great improvement. Of course, this is assuming that the mechanics you're trying to learn are correct.

The largest obstacle to your improvement is most likely going to be attitude. We live in such a fast paced environment that we expect everything to happen quickly, if not instantly. However, you already know that bowling is VERY DIFFICULT! Therefore, your improvement cannot possibly happen quickly. The exception—junior bowlers can improve very quickly and sometimes beginners (first few years) can make impressive improvement as well.

If you do want to be one of the few who achieve significant (not speedy) improvement, it may be time for an attitude adjustment. If you have patience, desire, and discipline, it is possible that you could become a much better bowler! If you don't these three qualities, be prepared to develop them if you seek true improvement.

mbg1977
03-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Motiv Girl,

How correct you are Rome wasnt built in a day and niether will my game you have got to learn to walk before you run.

What I have seen so far by watching videos is most great bowler have a very solid tempo, I have been watching mainly Parker Bohn III videos, he looks effortless, has a solid mental game. I have seen power and flash but, I seem to like a good tempo and solid fundamentals. That produce great power. This will take time but time I have! thanks for the advice !

Stormed1
03-23-2010, 02:04 AM
you might also want to check with the centers around you. In the summer we have a program called learn and earn. People in the program range from beginners to 200 plus average bowlers looking to improve.

Robert Eckert
03-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Bowling can be easy or hard depends on the person bowling.I've worked with beginners all my life and some can really have bad habits on the lanes.First you must be willing to learn and be serious about improvements in your game.There's always a trick to every sport you are involved in.

I believe you can do one of 2 things too increase your bowling skills.One you can go to your local bowling alley and ask the counter do they know of any local bowling coaches and get lessons which are really not that expessive.Or you could do like I did , go to the local bowling alley and just watch the different styles of bowler's. I am a firm believer in visual information on a particular subject.

Most bowler's do not have the strength to become a cranker or stroker because of their wrists.Which may not be your case since you are still younger than me.

Always remember to practice,practice and practice some more!
If you have a goal to be a (Good Bowler)Then you need to be educated about the game.Learn every aspect of the game.
Over time you will consistently increase your AVG. and scores.

rme1975

mbg1977
03-24-2010, 09:10 AM
That is a good point Mr. Eckert I do well with learning visually. After I was finished playing baseball, I started playing golf, I took a job at a Country Club in Fort Worth and got my start. Needless to say I watched and my thought was swing hard and go find it. The funny thing is I could get around the green but couldnt score. When I took another job at a club the head pro made me work on my short game, basiccally he kicked me off the course for a couple of months. Part of my job was to play with the memebers so while I could hit it a mile, but couldnt chip or putt. I progressed and went back and worked on my swing. I still beli ve had I started from the green back to the tee I would have progressed sooner.

Bowling and golf seem to have a conection in that you have the power game and technical game. I dont think you can be good without having both. The great thing is visually I can watch videos of great bowlers because of the internet (got to love the tube). Plus with lesson I think I will have a good foundation.

Honestly I didnt realize how popular bowling was in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Plus there are some all time great bowlers living in the area.

Thanks for all you advice believe me I appreciate it.

Matt

Okay here is an update

My first lesson is going to be with Paul Fleming at the Brunswick Zone Watauga: We are going to start with a reactive ball and a finger tip grip. Pretty excited about this!

Strike Domination
03-24-2010, 04:51 PM
I have heard of a few good coaches in that area, but couldn't think of any off the top of my head. Paul Flemming used to be on tour and in my opinion has a good game. Good luck with your lesson, should be very helpful.

mbg1977
03-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Okay update on the first lesson!

Well the first ball I rolled was a strike and then Mr. Fleming and I got down to business, it called footwork, and more footwork. I have alot of work ahead of me but it is fun. Mr. Fleming was very patient and we took baby step the great thing is I got a good feel of what he was was explaining.
I will say this he make it look really easy when he bowls! There is alot of talent in his game, guess that why he was on tour.

I would like to mention Derek as well went to get my ball Thursday and he new exactly what I needed and answered any questions I had. The ball feels great drill was perfect. I didnt know until today Mr. Flemming stopped by the day before and told him what I would be needing to get strated.

I do have a new saying Process=Results. So now its footwork and more footwork.

I had some fun today as well!

slowfaller
07-14-2010, 02:53 AM
So what ball are you using?

BaconLad
07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm glad you went about things the right way, if I could start over I'd of got my own ball straight away! For some insane reason I got it into my head that I needed to improve before I got my first ball...
How was I supposed to improve throwing ugly chipped house balls where the fingers were either too big or too small... :confused:

When I finally got my own ball I saw my average shoot up by about 20 pins (without even trying), and my spare conversions dramaticly increaed aswell.

Anyways, keep at it! And good luck!!!