PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting thumb cleanly out of the ball

winzeses3
09-08-2008, 07:43 PM
does anyone have advice. sometimes my ball will stick to my thumb. my coaches tell me to just relax my swing and to try to set the ball down on the lanes. any advice for me? thankyou anythin is appreciated.

-Jimmy

kev3inp
09-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Oddly enough, it may be that your thumbhole is actually too loose. This forces you to grip the ball more than you should and it's very hard to time when to let go. Another possibility is that the thumb pitch needs to be changed. You may have too much reverse, also causing you to grip too hard. There's a myriad of possibilities.

Personally, I use a piece of magic carpet in the back of my thumbhole, and, after working with Ron Clifton, the inventor of it, about 4 pieces of white tape in the front. I would never have guessed that my thumb was drilled that oversized, but it was. I have to add tape as the night goes on, too, because my thumb shrinks as I play, and if I don't I start gripping and hanging up in the ball.

onefrombills
09-09-2008, 05:51 AM
Go and have a pro shop check it out. The pitches may be off or the hold may be too big (loose) or too small (tight)

Duke Harding
09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
does anyone have advice. sometimes my ball will stick to my thumb. my coaches tell me to just relax my swing and to try to set the ball down on the lanes. any advice for me? thankyou anythin is appreciated.

-Jimmy

Jimmy,
Hanging in the ball can be timing-related, span to long, thumb hole to large.

You may need some bevel on the front or the back of the thumb hole.
I need a lot of bevel on the back of my thumb hole for my "long thumb" to clear the back of the thumb hole.

Lateral (left/right) pitches may be off a hair.
"Knuckling" the ball due to over-size thumb hole, etc.
Sometimes it's as easy as relaxing, and letting go of the ball at the line. :rolleyes:

winzeses3
09-11-2008, 02:14 AM
: ] thanks im trying to fix it everytime i throw i try to focus on it
my thumb hole is perfect size but im not sure what the pitch is?
my span maybe a tad too big but i sont think its enough to have my local pro shop notice it
i've bowled in front of him and numerous ones many times but i cant seem to consistently get out cleanly
this is my biggest habit i neeed to fix!!!!
thanks for the help everyone ill take it all into consideration next time im staring down the pins at the aproach. thanks again