PDA

View Full Version : Beginner needs advice for next ball

owlish
03-25-2010, 01:33 AM
I currently own a Storm Natural with a conventional drill and bowl straight. I would like to purchase a new ball and have it drilled for hooking. Since I am going this direction I would like to know the next step in a ball that would be suitable for myself without sacrificing investment. The lane conditions I would be bowling on are heavy oil and type is synthetic.

There are so many to choose from I feel lost. I have considered the following two balls for my arsenal:

Lane #1 Curve
Storm Invasion

Would either of these be overkill for a new hooker? I want to be smart with my money but also understand if buying a less performing ball considering my skills is a better option.

TIA

Owl

Strike Domination
03-25-2010, 04:30 AM
I don't know anything about Lane #1 but the Invasion is crazy strong. Something a little weaker would probably be best so you are able to use the ball more successfully on slightly differing conditions. Maybe the Reign of Fire would be better. But it's hard to suggest a ball for sure without seeing you bowl or knowing your style.

bowl1820
03-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Another option other than buying another ball, would be to have the Storm Natural plugged and re-drilled.

Use a more aggressive layout and maybe adjust the surface texture also. Also think about going to a fingertip grip. You can still hook a ball with a conventional grip, but a fingertip will allow you to impart more power, rev etc. on the ball.

This would give you more of a idea on what the lanes are like and work on developing a hook. plus it's cheaper than a new ball.

As Strike Domination said it's hard to suggest a ball for sure without seeing you bowl or knowing more about your style.

You say you would be bowling on are heavy oil,how do you know its heavy oil? Is it from what others tell you or how you see your ball react?

The Natural is a urethane ball and with a conventional grip your not going to see a lot of movement.

JaxBowlingGuy
03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Storm Shift (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280482315971&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT)

Storm Pyro (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280482437595&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT)

Above are 2 links to balls i have on ebay right now.. The pyro is a VERY good mid range ball. I have had 3 of them but am selling off my new one. The storm shift was in the high in line, but i saw the reaction to be more of a upper mid range ball. It was a very consistant ball with great reaction and carry.

owlish
03-25-2010, 04:33 PM
I asked my bowling center people and they suggested a good ball for my range. Ebonite Boom, Clash, or Smash. The balls I were looking at are too aggressive for myself right now being a new hooker. Thanks guys.

Owl

Edit: I am going to definitely purchase a different ball by Storm, Hy Road. I have heard such great things by Storm and the site was very helpful (storm.com).

Stormed1
03-27-2010, 12:17 PM
The Hy-Road is a great and versatile ball. It takes to surface changes well so don't be afraid to have the shop alter the surface if needed