PDA

View Full Version : Pin size... how does it affect a bowler?

rastamaoli
03-27-2010, 04:40 AM
Could someone please explain choice oif pin size and its choice on its type of bowler. for example a stroker who bolws under 15 mph compared to a guy who is a cranker at the same speed but with increased revs. Something within those limits?? help I think I bought a ball that may have been too little of a pin size; it just doesn't behave the way that I read reviewes about.

Thanks and ALOHA>>>

rastamaoli

bowl1820
03-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Heres some info on the pin.

PIN PLACEMENT (Pin to CG)
A Pin-in ball (when the pin is located within two inches of the CG) is excellent choice for control and less hook a Pin-out ball usually can be made to hook more and flip more dramatically than pin-in balls they often give the driller more options in layouts.

AFFECT OF PIN PLACEMENT
Pin to PAP distance: (PAP=Positive Axis Point)
0" - minimum flare potential, core is in its most stable position, earliest roll with smoothest arc.
1 1/8" - 1/3 of flare potential, stable core position, earlier roll with smooth arc.
2 1/4" - 2/3 of flare potential, semi stable core position, early roll with strong arc.
3 3/8" - max flare potential, most unstable core position, medium length with the most hook potential.
4 1/2" - 2/3 of flare potential, semi stable core position, late roll with flip/arc reaction.
5 5/8" - 1/3 of flare potential, stable core position, later roll with a flip reaction.
6 3/4" - minimum flare potential, stable core position, latest roll with strongest flip.
Remember : These reaction characteristics are all relative to the conditions they are being used on and may not perform as expected due to burning up too early or not setting up early enough.
Pin to grip center (GC) distance: The higher the pin above grip center the more length you will get for given pin to PAP distance. The placement in relation to GC also affects where the tracks of track flare intersect (bow tie). Higher pin = Higher intersection. For this reason they suggest high trackers place the pin higher above GC to reduce the risk of flaring over the finger holes.

Stormed1
03-27-2010, 11:21 AM
The only thing pin to cg distance matters for is the abilaty to make the statcally legal and whether the ball will need a weight hole. A "short" pin ball can be layed out pin up is it has lower top weight as can a long pin ball be drilled pin under.Your span also comes into play. Forexample i want to drill a ball cg in palm pin above bridge. For me i can do this with a 3 inch pin. For my son i would need a 3.5-4 inch pin as his span is an inch longer. Do to my slower speed i prefer longer pin balls as i can get the pins layed out witn much larger initial angles and still put a more dynamic balance hole position