PDA

View Full Version : peripheral assistance needed...

rastamaoli
03-27-2010, 04:49 AM
could someone explain one lane courtesy; who has the preference?? For ex: "the guy who threw a 7-10 split?" What do I do? Who bowls first my left or right; a woomen or the guy who has a spare to pick up? to bowl while his lane racks??

Thanks and Alohas>>>>>

rastamaoli

J Anderson
03-27-2010, 08:53 AM
could someone explain one lane courtesy; who has the preference?? For ex: "the guy who threw a 7-10 split?" What do I do? Who bowls first my left or right; a woomen or the guy who has a spare to pick up? to bowl while his lane racks??

Thanks and Alohas>>>>>

rastamaoli
The basics of one lane courtesy is that if some one is already on the the approach of the lane next to you, either side, You wait until they have delivered the ball before getting on your approach and picking up your ball. In the case of two bowlers getting up at the same time, the bowler on the left yields to the bowler on his or her right. A lot of older bowlers will let someone who is shooting a spare go first even if they have the right of way.

Strike Domination
03-27-2010, 07:40 PM
I didn't know you yield to the bowler on your right if you're ready at the same time. I have a feeling that not very many people follow that one though. Sometimes I get people who already have their ball in hand tell me to go and I don't have my ball. I don't understand that one.

bowl1820
03-27-2010, 08:09 PM
I didn't know you yield to the bowler on your right if you're ready at the same time. I have a feeling that not very many people follow that one though. Sometimes I get people who already have their ball in hand tell me to go and I don't have my ball. I don't understand that one.

They use to have it in the ABC book were they had the part about Bowling Etiquette.

Heres some different versions of it.
-------------------------------------
ETIQUETTE RULE #6
Observe one lane courtesy. The bowler on the
right should bowl if both reach the approach at
the same time. Step to the back of the approach
while you wait and indicate to the adjacent
bowler that you are going to bowl after s/he
does.

The number one courtesy is to yield the "right of way" to bowlers on adjacent lanes when both bowlers are ready to bowl at the same time. The bowler to the right has the right away and should bowl first. Make sure to stay off the approach until the bowler has completed their shot.

# Bowlers on the right hand lane has the right of way to bowl first
He/she can waive the right of way to the person bowling on the left most lane if they so choose.
# Never pick up your ball from the return rack while another bowler is preparing to bowl and is in his/her starting position
Refrain from creating noises or movements that may be spotted out of the corner of their eye. For cases where another bowler constantly causes distractions while you are preparing to bowl, let them have the right of way. This way you can stay in control of your game and remain relaxed to take your shot.
# Yield to the bowler on your immediate left or right if they are ready to bowl (one lane courtesy): don't even go near the ball return if the person on either side of you is bowling or getting ready to bowl. Stay behind the scoring console until the coast is clear. Some leagues and tournaments requier two lane courtesy!

# Don't stand next to the ball return while waiting for your second ball: this could distract a bowler setting up next to you.

Heres one I hadn't heard before-
# A bowler shooting a spare has the right of way over a bowler with a full rack: spare shooters need extra time to concentrate.

Drano
03-27-2010, 08:47 PM
The one about the spare-shooter is new to me. Though when I'm shooting spares, I usually take much less time on the approach unless it's a 10-pin

J Anderson
03-27-2010, 09:27 PM
The one about the spare-shooter is new to me. Though when I'm shooting spares, I usually take much less time on the approach unless it's a 10-pin
That's funny, when I take more time on ten pins is when I miss them.

mrbill
03-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I try to give the right away to others making spares and anyone else that looks like they will roll when I will roll.
I do not want any distractions, so if it's close I always let the player to my left or right go, I make like I have to shine my ball a little more so there is no funny feelings..

WAC4504
03-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Lane courtesy is the #1 reason I bowl on leagues, the other two are oil, and competition.

randwool
03-28-2010, 12:27 AM
I think a big no-no is to be waved ahead by a bowler with the ball in his hand and accept it. That can cause rushed shots and poor execution.

Paralipsis
03-28-2010, 05:37 PM
I accidentally broke this rule on Friday night during some Cosmic bowling. I didn't see the person on my right start her approach, and I started at basically the same time. I do look around, just wasn't paying attention. Both of us failed hard. I felt pretty bad. Lol.

rastamaoli
03-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks; I really appreciate it. I was a junior bowler for 15 years and lane courtesy is one of the top lessons we learned as we played. Respectfully, I dont know what to do. My team says I am a slow bowler; it's just that, I abide by the same principals as, "Mr.Bill".

This is a weekly thing. I am given the right of way from my left. I then step to the lane and begin my routine. I Set, inhale, visualize, exhale, and then, go. It takes less than 15 seconds to begin my approach. Then, an J**hole on my right walks up and begins their routine during my visualization. This bothers me because, I am able to see the bowler off of my periperal vision. I begin to get distracted and then miss the opportunities to score higher for the team.

Is it me and my mental game, or is it a reasonable plea to correct others?

I keep to myself in my league and have never complained about anything. Eventhough, I have also witnessed people applying conditioners during league games to enhance their breakpoint. I thought that was illegal during league play.

Mahalo again,

Rastamaoli

J Anderson
03-30-2010, 06:46 PM
It is not acceptable for someone step on to the approach next to yours when you are already on the approach starting your shot. You certainly have the right to politely explain to the offending person that they are violating lane courtesy. If the behavior continues you should complain to the league officials.
I must confess that I have been known to grab my ball off the return when the bowler next to me is just getting set with his feet, but I don't stepup on the approach.

Podunkparte
03-31-2010, 12:06 AM
It is not acceptable for someone step on to the approach next to yours when you are already on the approach starting your shot. You certainly have the right to politely explain to the offending person that they are violating lane courtesy. If the behavior continues you should complain to the league officials.
I must confess that I have been known to grab my ball off the return when the bowler next to me is just getting set with his feet, but I don't stepup on the approach.

I do this a lot too. I'll grab my ball and spin/clean it to get ready for my shot (not on the approach) while they go. It's never been a problem for me since I don't do it if I have to go out onto the approach to get my ball. Usually I just have to lean over and pull it out and step back. I don't think this is a huge issue unless it's in a tournament.

Beech
03-31-2010, 08:43 AM
when i bowled in the 2 torunys i bowled it i was so used to the 1 lane rule but apprently i was told its 2 lanes so if there is someone going to the right or left of you 2 lanes over they have the right away i thought it was weird but hey i went with it.

rastamaoli
04-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Hey Janderson? What do you think about my second topic? Is it illegal or unethical??

Others.. you are more than welcome to input your answers as well...

There is this guy who constantly puts "black magic" on his ball on the Kegel "Middle of The Lane" shot.

I was taught to adjust but anyone got other impressions??

Aloha

Drano
04-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Hey Janderson? What do you think about my second topic? Is it illegal or unethical??

Others.. you are more than welcome to input your answers as well...

There is this guy who constantly puts "black magic" on his ball on the Kegel "Middle of The Lane" shot.

I was taught to adjust but anyone got other impressions??

Aloha

It's not allowed as per USBC, and/or possibly PBA rules. You can only alter the surface of your ball before the first shot of competition, not during.

johncongdon
04-02-2010, 08:32 AM
We actually did a TalkBowling episode on the subject. We have people that bowl with us that use 2-lane courtesy and it gives us something to laugh at.

http://www.talkbowling.com/talk-bowling-episode-0030/?lf=bowlingboards