PDA

View Full Version : Having a coach. What is considered a bad coach, or even good?

owlish
03-27-2010, 10:51 PM
I recently starting bowling seriously about 3 weeks ago. I am still working on my number-of-steps approach. I have not tried three steps yet and currently use four for the time being. About the coach, he is very very knowledgeable and has been doing USBC coaching for forty years. Here are the pluses and minuses I consider for myself as him being a coach:

Pluses:

Tells me why I need to change my technique
Very knowledgeable
USBC certified

Minuses (imo)

Wants me to listen to his advice only
Does not let me try my "own way" or change my a number of step approach

I would love it if someone could tell me what to look for if these are not good pluses and minuses. TIA

Owl

mrbill
03-27-2010, 11:33 PM
If you look on this site on older post you will find lots on this subject.. If you can't find anything then I know we all will load you up with the KNOWLDGE...

WAC4504
03-27-2010, 11:33 PM
If you trust him, stick with him. He sounds a lot like my coach. It seems strange at first till you start seeing the results, then you will realize that he really does know what he's doing. If price is an issue then talk with him and see what you can work out, 'cause change comes slowly. I know my coach has a 2 year special which is dirt cheap compared to weekly rates, the reason is commitment to the sport. If you're willing to spend the money up front then he knows you're committed to the sport, and dude it's great 'cause any time I'm bowling and he's there he's checking on you giving pointers if needed, also we can attend any group lessons. Any way, just want to say, take the lessons and listen to the coach, and it will all work out.

randwool
03-28-2010, 12:17 AM
After thinking about all my reading and studying of the subject after a 6-7 year layoff, there is just a ton of information to digest and put into practice. That approach work can be tedious. A 3-step isn't recommended, a 4-step is normal, but I'm liking a 5-step due to some timing issues. Hope your coach lets you get yours worked out.