PDA

View Full Version : Two choices...which to go with?

Paralipsis
03-28-2010, 05:18 PM
This'll be my first modern ball and this'll probably be the last time I ask, until I can afford either a more aggressive ball and/or need a second one to add to my arsenal.

Ebonite The One (my friend owns this one, and it's the only one I have tested in this list)
Storm Hy-Road

After reviewing the footage on Brunswick's site of the Diamondback and Python, those two seem a tad bit too aggressive for my tastes. I've looked at the Hy-Road and it seems like a good choice. However, I like the reaction The One has. I'm leaning towards The One. Opinions?

Strike Domination
03-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I have a hard time believing either of those wouldn't be too aggressive if the Python is. They're at least as strong as the Python. Unless maybe if you're just talking about backend angularity. You might want to step down to the Avalanche series or a Vibe, or a Mars.

mrbill
03-28-2010, 06:30 PM
I would go with "The One" Only because I like the name...

Paralipsis
03-28-2010, 08:25 PM
The Diamondback is the one I was thinking as to aggressive. If I were to have a Diamondback, I'd get the Python to go along side it at the same time I purchase the DB. I'm still leaning towards The One, unless someone can steer me a different direction.

Strike Domination
03-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Get The One then. That should be good.

Stormed1
03-29-2010, 04:06 AM
Keep in mind that The One is a high maintenance ball as it uses a cover that was in the Ebonite high oil absorbtion era and as such needs more frequent oil extraction

Paralipsis
03-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Keep in mind that The One is a high maintenance ball as it uses a cover that was in the Ebonite high oil absorbtion era and as such needs more frequent oil extraction

Explain the issues with it. And is this: http://ebonite.com/products/product_detail/the_one_pearl the high maintenance one.

The Mayor
03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
In my opinion, the Storm Hy-Road is the most versatile ball on the market. Being that it's a hybrid (And the first ball with 50% Solid and 50% Pearl) the ball gets down the lane well, but also has a strong but predictable backend reaction. You want something with this type of reaction if you're only going to have one ball at first, something that can be used on the widest range of lane conditions. The Hy-Road also takes very well to surface changes. If you leave it polished like it is out of the box, the pearl in the ball will shine and give you the most on the backend. If you sand the ball to say, 1000 Abralon, the solid part of the coverstock really takes over and you'll have a ball that reads the lane sooner. Great for heavier conditions. So in essence you're getting 2 balls in 1!

Paralipsis
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
The Hy-Road was tempting and I might grab a used one farther down the line. Straight out of the box, it lacks the break pattern I prefer to see in a ball. The One, being the only ball I have tested and have grown accustomed to using (albeit, my release needs some tweaking for it) as I have used it more than once, I think I'm going to go with it. After awhile, I may grab a Hy-Road, preferably after my wrist is back to 100% to try and work on my one handed release.

Stormed1
03-30-2010, 03:20 AM
The gb10.7 covertock is one of the oil suckers. All i mean by hi maintenance is you need to give it hot water baths about every 30-40 games vs 60-70 for others, The oil absorbtion in the ball will cause it to loose reaction sooner than the Diamondback or Hy-Road Another ball you might look at and has a good price point is the AMF Clutch Pearl

Paralipsis
03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
The gb10.7 covertock is one of the oil suckers. All i mean by hi maintenance is you need to give it hot water baths about every 30-40 games vs 60-70 for others, The oil absorbtion in the ball will cause it to loose reaction sooner than the Diamondback or Hy-Road Another ball you might look at and has a good price point is the AMF Clutch Pearl

Just hot water baths? That's not to bad. Anything else? Is the coverstock highly susceptible to damage.