PDA

View Full Version : help understanding lane conditions

trizzypballr
03-30-2010, 12:08 AM
I want to start off saying, that I dont feel that I am a bad bowler, but I struggle to make adjustments. Prime example of this is that I bowl at the same house 2 different nights, tuesday and wednesday. On Tuesday im averaging around a 205, on Wednesday around 217. This is obviously a big jump, and to me it seems pretty obvious that considering it is the same house, and same lanes that I have a problem reading the lanes and adjusting. It seems on tuesday nights I really struggle to find my line. The more I try to learn the more questions I come up with. My favorite ball is my Roto Grip Saturn. This ball is getting old, ive been bowling with it for probably 4-5 years. Ive tried quite a few other balls, but this seems to be my favorite. I also have a Virtual Gravity that I throw when the lanes are to wet to throw the saturn I dont feel as comfortable with it though. Ive decided that since I love my Saturn so much that I should consider trying other Roto Grip balls. Looking at their website they have a ball chart. Just for reference this (http://www.rotogrip.com/products/balls/ball-chart/) is what I am talking about. Its pretty obviously what the light, medium and heavy oil mean. What im not sure about is the carry down. From hearing other bowlers talk im assuming that has to do with how much oil is carried down the lane? Exactly how do you actually read this?

I should also include the fact that I am a lefty, so there are nights im all by myself on the left side, if that affects the carry down.

Graaille
03-30-2010, 12:40 AM
First off, Welcome to BB.

Carrydown is a factor that happens when oil from the front part of the lane is picked up on the ball and deposited (rubbed off the ball) on the back part of the lane. If your leagues request/require the house to strip and oil immediately before league - chances are you don't really have to deal w/carrydown that much. However if the house just reoils w/out stripping the lanes first, you could be dealing w/quite a bit of carrydown. It depends on how much open bowling happened on the lanes you're bowling on, what kind of balls the bowlers were using, etc....

As far as how to read or determine if you're being affected by carrydown: watch your ball reaction at the breakpoint (the area where it stops going in one direction and starts coming back to pocket.) If you normally have a pretty defined breakpoint, it's easier to tell when the ball is 'overshooting' a bit due to carrydown. If you have a more gradual fade to the pocket, it may be a bit harder to immediately see. One way of telling though is if the ball feels good off your hand, you've hit your target on the lanes, and the speed is pretty much right -- but the ball comes in heavier on the 2 pin than on the 1 pin (since you're a lefty) - you might be affected by carrydown.

Several others will chime in to clarify and/or give other suggestions, I'm not going to make any adjustment suggestions due to not being a lefty. Good bowling and again, welcome.

trizzypballr
03-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Ive had nights where I feel like im throwing a good ball, but im coming in light. So I would move one board left and throw to the same mark and end up going threw the nose. Does that mean I may be affected by carrydown, and may need to switch to a ball that is made for heavier carry down? Im kinda bummed about the fact that being that my saturn is no longer being made, it is not shown on the chart that I had posted.

Another note on my virtual gravity. I feel like my virtual gravity is spiratic at times. I feel like I throw the same ball twice, and one time it hooks up nice and smashes the pocket, the next it hooks to much and is high or threw the nose. On nights that I do seem to be able to get in a grove with it, some nights it will carry very nicely, other nights I constantly leave single pins in the back row. I remember 1 night in league leaving 3-7 pins 2-8 pins and 2-10 pins. Is there a lane condition that is causing these problems? How do I adjust to that?

Graaille
03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
What you describe w/the Saturn is called an "Over-Under Reaction" where you have a spot where the ball goes long, but an inch or two at the breakpoint and the ball encounters friction and blasts off the spot and heads straight thru the nose. Where exactly are you targeting? The closer to the line you target, making a one board change can be much more signifigant than you imagine - potentially 2-3 boards at the breakpoint.

trizzypballr
03-30-2010, 04:18 PM
I like to put the ball down around the 15 board, and swing it out to the 5-10. When im coming threw the nose, I start off 1 board to the right with my approach. I seem to bowl the best when taking the down and in approach. When I try going inside I have a tendency to either throw it out to far, or yank it inside. Im afraid my issue is that I cant always just adjust my feet to be able to swing out to the 5-10 board, that sometimes I will need to learn to be able to hit marks more inside.