PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Gravity dead?

trizzypballr
03-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Ive had my virtual gravity for maybe 6 months now, and it seems to have stopped carrying? Ive had so many 7-10 or almost 7-10s lately it is ridiculous! Ive also left alot of 8 and 9 pins, which I never used to do. Ive tried the whole, throwing the ball in the tub with hot water and dish soap but it doesnt seem to help. It has lost some of its hook, but I like it because I can control it will now, and still get it in the pocket nicely, its just not carrying. They just put a new machine in at my local lanes that will revive, sand or polish your ball, do these machines actually work? The fact that it only costs like $2 to use makes me really wonder if it actually does anything or not?

Ryan_W
03-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Baking supposedly will revive a ball. whether you take it to the shop or do it in your home oven is up to you. I'm about to throw an old Shock Trauma in my oven tomorrow and see what kind of difference it makes.

Mellen
03-31-2010, 04:14 PM
I thought the same about my Black Widow Sting. It stopped carrying and was leaving what you were talking about. I was even cleaning it with "Clean & Dull" like I was supposed to. Took it to the shop and had them sand it down to 2000. Turned around the same night and shot 727 with it. That only cost me 3 bucks to do.

trizzypballr
03-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Did it change the actual roll of the ball or just make the ball have the slightest different angle to help carry better?

Mellen
04-01-2010, 08:36 AM
It caused the ball to do what it is supposed to do. Slide through the oil, catch at the break point and roll in to the pocket. Give it a shot, can't hurt anything.

DanielMareina
04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Do not put your bowling ball in your oven! It is a very touch process and if you mess it up, you will crack the coverstock. The best way to revive a ball is to scratch the coverstock up with 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper. After that, fill a bucket with water that is around 170 degrees. Usually a faucet will get to about 130 and you can add boiling water to raise it up the rest of the way. Add a little dish soap to the water. After all of that, soak your ball in the water for 15 minutes. Then pull the ball out and clean it off with a dry towel, or with Storm Reacta Clean on a towel. Soak it a second time for 15 more minutes. Pull it out and clean it off again. Now you will need to get the surface hit with a 500 grit base coat and then a 4000 grit top coat. This will revive the ball safely and effectively!

trizzypballr
04-01-2010, 03:44 PM
This may be a dumb novice question, but how do you go about getting and actually doing the grit part of this process?

DanielMareina
04-01-2010, 06:09 PM
The best way to do it would be to have a ball spinner. Without that it takes a little more effort. If you have a ball spinner or a pro shop that will scuff it up for you, then you just wet the ball down while holding the sandpaper on as it spins. I do all four sides (top, bottom, then turn on its side and do top bottom again) for about 30 seconds each. If you don't have a ball spinner, you can take sandpaper and rub it in a circular motion evenly around the ball till you feel like you have gotten the whole ball. I recommend that you pay a pro shop guy to do the finishing steps for you. A ball spinner will get a much more even finish and the operator is trained to not make your ball have flat spots or anything. Here is a link to a storm poster that explains the resurfacing process better. http://www.stormbowling.com/docs/maintenance_poster.pdf

trizzypballr
04-01-2010, 08:49 PM
We actually just got that exact machine in our alley on that poster, the top machine not the bottom one

Stormed1
04-01-2010, 11:23 PM
The surface factory machine is very good! To restore your VG to originall do it first with 500 grit and then a light application of 4000 grit

trizzypballr
04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
I noticed it also has a cleaning mode. Is it important to clean it first, or just do the 2 sanding modes?

Also can anyone tell me what to set a Roto Grip Saturn on, that was changed to 800 grit surface when I got it? I noticed there is a 500, and a 1000. I love the ball the way it is so I didnt want to actually change the surface, just wanted to revive it

Strike Domination
04-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't know what kind of cleaning the Surface Factory does but I'm guessing it applies a spray cleaner. If you don't want to change the surface of your Saturn I think you can just use the clean option. For the Virtual Gravity, do the 500 then 4000 like Bill said. If it truly is dead the clean option isn't going to help but if you take it to that surface you should find out for sure if something is wrong.

trizzypballr
04-03-2010, 10:35 PM
1 huge issue, our machine only goes up to 2000 grit? Its a new machine id assume, its new to our house at least, and the machine looks brand new...

trizzypballr
04-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Curiousity, are these the type of ball spinners you need to change surfaces at home yourself? http://cgi.ebay.com/Vertex-1-2-hp-Bowling-Ball-Spinner-NEW_W0QQitemZ130379955886QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBowlin g?hash=item1e5b403eae

How hard is it to do?

Strike Domination
04-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Yep those are the kind. There's other brands too. I don't think it's too hard to do if you know what you're doing. People often have the local pro shop teach them I think.

Zuneworld911
04-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I have had the same problem it seems like it has just died and quick giving me a good reaction for some reason

DanielMareina
04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
As far as a clean option, cleaning a ball is good to do, but not necessary prior to resurfacing. It should be used every 30-50 games or so and have the surface touched up every 60-75 games. 800 Grit surface is a gray scotchbrite pad. Your pro shop guy should have one available because it is used for all Storm equipment that gets polished to 1500 grit. As for only going to 2000 grit, that is very strange. Every high performance ball on the market right now practically is 4000 grit. I would ask your pro shop guy next time you see him and see what he says. I hope that cleared everything up.

DanielMareina
04-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Curiousity, are these the type of ball spinners you need to change surfaces at home yourself? http://cgi.ebay.com/Vertex-1-2-hp-Bowling-Ball-Spinner-NEW_W0QQitemZ130379955886QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBowlin g?hash=item1e5b403eae

How hard is it to do?

It is really easy to do. The key is to give equal pressure at all times, and to do every side for the same amount of time. The best part about it is if you don't like the outcome, just toss it back on and start again. You just have to be real careful about flat spotting a ball. This can be done by staying on one part of the ball for too long. Your hand should continue to move the entire time you are in contact with the ball. I will attached a link on an ealier post to a maintenance poster from Storm that lays it out pretty nicely. Check it out and I will answer any other questions you have.

kakcpa
04-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Just buy a brand new one!

Stormed1
04-09-2010, 04:34 AM
If your doing it yourself it is also important to use LOTS of water. It will help your abralon pad last longer

Gordon325
05-06-2012, 05:42 AM
My Virtual Gravity is dead now too, after about a year and a half...it started dying earlier.. I have had it deep cleaned... baked....resurfaced...etc etc.. and nothing brought it back...I am now the proud owner of a Crossroad.