PDA

View Full Version : teach me o masters what is a bwoling league

wes909
04-08-2010, 08:15 PM
ok so i just started back bowling and i didnt start out hot at all.l but now i am putting up higher numbers than ever. i stay in the 180's to 190's constantly and i feel i am ready for the leagues. so what is a league exactly how do they work ? what should i know before entering

randwool
04-08-2010, 09:52 PM
With Summer Leagues forming in late April and May, your bowling center should have sheets showing the different leagues, (scratch, mens, womens, doubles, youth, business or industrial) and can assist towards finding a league that suits you. Some days may be better than others. I've seen 3rd shift leagues here in the AM. Hope you find one and let us know how it works out.

WAC4504
04-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Wes I hope this helps, I copied a post from an earlier thread 'cause I didn't feel like rewriting every thing. let me try to explain league a little better being as how I still remember my confusion with it. Joining a league is real simple and easy to do, just find a team, or a group of people you would like to bowl with and make your own team, and join the league. All leagues have a meeting before they start the season so just show up at the meeting and register your teem or if you can register your teem ahead of time by using the flyer they always put out. Now the league meeting is to lay out the rules, introduce the leaders of the league, set the dates for holidays and so forth, and basic organizational stuff. From there you choose a name and are given a team number and you're ready to bowl. Whether you bowl the same day as the meeting or the week after all you have to do is show up and they will let you know who and where you are bowling that night. At that time you will be expected to pay not only for that days league fees but also a USBC sanction fee of 18.00 if the league is sanctioned. This is a once a year fee and is well worth it Bowl.com will answer your questions about the USBC---http://www.bowl.com/ As for the average that you set the first night you bowl and your handicap will be figured up the same night. You will find that the further you get into the season the harder it is to change your average. The reason is because your average is your total number of pins ( every one of your scores added together ) divided by your total number of games you have bowled. So if you have 1800 pins after 4 weeks your average would be 150. Your handicap depends on what formula the league wants to use, for example my league uses 90% of 220 which means you would subtract 150 from 220 which would be 70 then multiply that number by 90% which would give you a handicap of 63. Now every game you bowl in league you automatically have 63 pins added to your score. Now you figure that you bowl against someone with a 221 average, and you bowl a 200, now you just bowled a 263, and they must now bowl 43 pins over there average just to mach yours. At the end of the season most leagues if they're money leagues will have a small tournament just for fun and then do pay out. That means that at the end of the league you get money back depending on how well you did. For example they would pay so much for each point, for us every game you won was 1 point. Last year we were league champs and got quite a bit back. But the best part of it is you get to have fun, bowl with the lights on, bowl with people that know lane courtesy, make lots of new friends, and grow your skill at the same time. I hope this helps 'cause I know I didn't want to ask to many questions when I started a league so that I wouldn't look stupid. If there's any thing I may have left out or any questions at all please ask, remember there's no such thing as a stupid question. Join a league you'll love it.

wes909
04-09-2010, 12:18 AM
um whats lane courtesy

Stormed1
04-09-2010, 04:21 AM
um whats lane courtesy

Not stepping up to bowl why the person on the next lane is on the approach to throw the ball. Normal accepted courtesy is one lane so if your on lane 4 and someones up on 6 it's ok but not if they were on 5