PDA

View Full Version : thoughts about polishing...

tracy
04-11-2010, 10:16 AM
i was just polishing my bowling ball as i always have and was just wondering "why polish the ball as it will just fill in the holes!?". would'nt that go against what we are to beleive about resin balls, that they absorb the oil as we bowl? what are your thoughts about this thought?

bowl1820
04-11-2010, 12:10 PM
To a certain extent, yes polishing would fill in the microscopic pores in the surface of the ball. That's why you have to sand a ball to remove polish and open the pores back up sometimes.

But that is the point of polishing! Your adjusting the balls surface, to make it go farther down the lane before it reacts.

By polishing your filling in ridges and/or wearing them down (depending on type of polish) to reduce friction and filling in pores to slow the oil absorption, so the oil sits on the outside of the ball. Which would reduce the amount of friction even more.

Stormed1
04-11-2010, 02:46 PM
There is a HUGE difference between polishing a ball on a spinner vs using a Lustre King polisher at the bowling center. The Luster King actually uses a block of polish/wax and plugges up the pores almost completely. When using the spinnerthere are abrasive polishes which will smooth out the grit of the sanded finish while adding shine. ( such as Brunswick;s Rough Buff or Storm's steps 1,2 & 3). Other polishes just put a shine on the underlying grit to help create a little more skid through the heads and increase backend reaction. When kpolishing a ball keep in mind that the underlying grit will still have a great influence on the balls reaction