PDA

View Full Version : Knee replacement

ZFAM14
04-13-2010, 12:44 AM
I am wondering if there are any bowlers in the Community who have come back after knee replacement. I had my left knee replaced in July 2009. I haven't bowled since my league ended in May. I had complications after surgery and I am just getting around feeling a little confident to get out and try. I'm right-handed and slid with the left leg. As I practice (living room, no ball), I can't seem to slide. I'm thinking of going from my four step slide to a three step plant.
My question is: Has anyone had to make major changes coming back from knee replacement surgery. I managed to successfully come back from two arthroscopic left knee surgeries and one right knee meniscus surgery in the years prior to the '09 replacement.

209 average, 290 high game, 760 high series

J Anderson
04-13-2010, 08:19 AM
I am wondering if there are any bowlers in the Community who have come back after knee replacement. I had my left knee replaced in July 2009. I haven't bowled since my league ended in May. I had complications after surgery and I am just getting around feeling a little confident to get out and try. I'm right-handed and slid with the left leg. As I practice (living room, no ball), I can't seem to slide. I'm thinking of going from my four step slide to a three step plant.
My question is: Has anyone had to make major changes coming back from knee replacement surgery. I managed to successfully come back from two arthroscopic left knee surgeries and one right knee meniscus surgery in the years prior to the '09 replacement.

209 average, 290 high game, 760 high series

My Father-in-Law is still bowling at the age of 85. He has had both knees replaced, as well as rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. He doesn't average anywhere near 200, but then he never has. As long as you put some good effort into your rehab, you should be fine.
I would think that any approach ending in a plant would put too much stress on the knee.

ZFAM14
04-14-2010, 01:08 AM
I thought about that also, but at this time, my knee kind of feels like it is in two parts. I feel a buckling when I try to slide. I could also be a little nervous to go all out.

J Anderson
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I thought about that also, but at this time, my knee kind of feels like it is in two parts. I feel a buckling when I try to slide. I could also be a little nervous to go all out.
What about one step like what Tony Reyes does in the trick shot competitions?

randwool
04-17-2010, 03:29 AM
I've heard of a bowler putting the right knee on the approach, left foot at the foul line, much like kneeling down, then swinging the arm a couple of times, then release. Speed would be down, but maybe better than straining that knee over and over. I thought it was originally devised as a practice routine.

ZFAM14
04-18-2010, 03:17 PM
It's going to be quite interesting to see what happens. I am still working in the gym to make the knee stronger.