PDA

View Full Version : Redeciding on my Ball Choice

Paralipsis
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Today, I found out that the balls that I'm thinking about purchasing, are WAY the hell out of my league at the moment. Soo...here's where I open up to you guys. I'm looking at the Brunswick Avalanche series and the Groove series. I bowled with a Wild Ride today and holy crap that thing hooks like mad. Having switched to a single handed release, I found out that I'm a rev dominant bowler. Still a mid ball speed (13-15 mph...if that) and a mid-high rev rate (haven't had that clocked). The Wild Ride today proved that it's way out of my league. For it, I'd either need to drop the rev rate, and/or increase my ball speed.

So, with that being said, I'm looking at the Avalanche and/or Groove series. Throw out recommendations within the same performance range.

Take into consideration:

Speed: Mid (13-15 mph...17+ if two handed)
Rev's: Mid-high (Mid if two handed)
Pattern: Standard house shot pattern (medium oil I think)

Jord_84
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
The Furious, Reign, or Hy-Road....all from Storm, might be good balls for you to consider.

Go to Storm's website and check out their matchmaker feature.

Strike Domination
04-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Brunswick has a new line, the Sling Shot, I think that's replacing the Grooves. They're better in my opinion anyways, more of a core. I say to either get one of those(pick your favorite color combo) or the Avalanche Pearl(Green/Black). If you're willing to go outside of Brunswick, look at the 900 Global Link or Roto Grip Mars too. All these balls are med-light to light oil balls and won't hook as much as the Wild Ride.

Not completely sure on the Hy-Road and Reign(but I do think they're almost as strong as the Wild Ride), but the Furious would definitely be too strong if the WR is.

DanielMareina
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
If you want a ball that is a little more calm, Storm is about to come out with the Tropical Heat. The core has been in 3 different lines and is proven. It is a very steady roll and a smooth transition. It isn't a too much ball, and the price is right. It comes out on April 28th. Otherwise I would go with the Storm Fast. Same core, but better coverstock. Good luck buddy!

Paralipsis
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm stuck between the Rattler and Python as my main ball. I'm thinking the rattler is a better choice because it has a smoother backend than the Python does. Then have the Brunswick Viz-A-Ball as my spare ball.

http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/balls/detail/rattler/ (14 lb)
http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/balls/detail/brunswick/ (14 lb)

Good combination for a starting aresnal?

Combined with:

http://www.dexterbowling.com/Item.asp?collection=110&item=B1899-1
http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/bags/detail/flash-double/

Strike Domination
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
That might be fine, I think the Rattler is just a step down from the Wild line.

Paralipsis
04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
It's a little less agressive...atleast that's what the appearance of the strikeline of it looks like compared to the wild ride.

Wild Ride:

http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/images/sized/images/lanes/BB_strikeline_wildride-220x747.jpg

Rattler:

http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/images/sized/images/lanes/BB_strikeline_rattler-220x747.jpg

Looks like it has a stronger backend as well.

DanielMareina
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
I am not a big fan of Brunswick equipment in general. Most of it is meant for heavy oil, even though they claim it isn't. You will end up with a lot of shots that the ball rolls out (uses all it's energy before getting to the pins). I will tell you that i have drilled a python for one of my regular customers and it wasn't a bad ball. Assuming you are bowling on a regular house pattern, I woul recommend having the pin above your fingers to keep the ball from reacting too early though. If you are set on brunswick, both those balls will be fine. I would still urge you toward a slingshot, tropical heat, fast, or freeze though.

Strike Domination
04-24-2010, 03:57 AM
I would still urge you toward a slingshot, tropical heat, fast, or freeze though.

Agreed.

Paralipsis
04-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I actually found out yesterday that the oil pattern at the local center is a left over sport pattern. Occasionally it's the Cheetah but other times it's a simple sport pattern. Left over meaning, they don't re-oil the lanes until a league/tournament night. No house shot at all. I'm trying to convince the owner to start using a house shot. So with that in mind, does that change ball choices?

Chubbz
04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
I am new to bowling myself, but just got the avalanche blk/grn. So far I like the ball granted only threw 3 games with it, It is definately different than my hammer blade(first ball). It is nice and smooth thru the heads and reads the middle nice and smooth the wham it cuts to pins at a nice angle. Made me nervous the first couple times, but it is drilled to go long and hook. After a few position adjustments I was hitting well with it ocassonally leaving the 7 pin (lefty). Overall I am happy with the ball. I lloked at the freeze,vibe,darkstar and tropical heat. Ended up with the avalanche cause I got a hell of a deal on it. If you ever bowled with a rhino it is very similar. Hope I helped a little.
13-15mph, lefty, stroker.

Paralipsis
04-25-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm honestly leaning towards a three ball setup. Avalanche as my main, a power groove reactive as my backup, and fancy viz-a-ball with the brunswick logo in the center as my spare ball. Reason I'm going brunswick, is because they have some sweet deals at my bowling center now. They don't have the Avalanche, but can get a nice price for it. But, I still think that trustable online stores have better prices. Soooo:

Main: Avalanche
Backup: Power Groove Reactive
Spare: Viz-A-Ball Brunswick Logo

How's that for a good setup? I mean, I'll buy them one by one as I get the money, but is that a good plan for a starting arsenal?

DanielMareina
04-26-2010, 10:37 AM
That is a good plan. The avalanche will give you a ball with some reaction to it, the power groove will be such a small reaction that it will be predictable, and any plastic ball is essential as a spare ball. I think it is a good way to start your arsenal. Just know, that when you move up with brunswick, there are a few choices that are not worth considering ( i.e. C systems 2.5). Let us know how it goes.

Paralipsis
04-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Will do. Thanks for the help you guys. Definitely not buying anything soon. I NEED MONEY!!! And what's wrong with the 2.5?

DanielMareina
04-26-2010, 10:41 PM
The 2.5 is a sad ball. It rolls early and hits the pins like a marshmellow. The 3.5 is a very good ball, but stay away from the 2.5 unless you like wasting money.

Paralipsis
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
And to think a lot of people I know use it. Lol. I think my list above'll hold me out for awhile. Thanks for the help guys. If I get any more questions, I'll ask 'em soon enough. Lol.

Stormed1
04-27-2010, 01:17 AM
In place of the Power Groove you may want to look at it's replacement. The Slingshot

Paralipsis
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Reason I'm going for the power groove over the slingshot is the fact that it's extremely similar to the avalanche in break distance and break shape. But I might just go for the Slingshot. Not sure yet. Opinions?