PDA

View Full Version : owlish's accomplishments

owlish
05-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I got my very first 500 series in my bowling history. :)

mdmjdm
05-02-2010, 08:14 PM
That's great! First time for everything...next is...???

owlish
05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Well, I'd like to get my average to 160 or 170 by next month (June 1st). I've been bowling 4 days a week minimum with one day for fun only, keeps it from turning into a chore I suppose. Thanks for asking!

:)

owl

mdmjdm
05-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a reasonable goal. But dont get caught up in the numbers...focus on making good shots, on executing the shot you have in your mind.

Heck, I say it to myself before each shot..."Throw a good shot, just throw a good shot". It really is amazing how "ignoring" the results and focusing on the execution can improve your numbers.

When I practice, I find my strike line, then focus on throwing good shots. When I do, I turn around immediately and walk back, not watching the result at all...I dont even look at the monitor. Try it once...you most likely will be suprised at the results you post.

owlish
05-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I will try that! Walking away from the shot.

Funny you should talk about results. I got some free advice from a TV basketball game. "Let's just play a good game, the score is the result of playing" which I immediately adopted. It is funny how much we want the results to fix themselves when that isn't going to happen.

owl

mdmjdm
05-04-2010, 07:02 PM
It is true...execution of YOUR shot is the most important thing in bowling. Good shots will, a majority of the time, result in good scores. Occasionally you will bowl poorly and score well, and you might bowl well and score poorly. Rate yourself on how you BOWLED, not how you SCORED.

I get my mind so "in to" that thought at times that I will actually confuse and offend people...because I will show disgust at the shot I threw, it somehow gets to the pocket and strikes, and my irritation with myself is mis-interpreted. I have explained and apologized for that before...some people believe I should be happy with anything that falls...

WAC4504
05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Congratulations Kurt, now you know that there's no limit to what you can do, so keep on shooting. I also agree with John about paying attention to you bowling and not your score. I like to try to bowl each frame as if it were the first, and not worry about the one before it. That way all you think about is that perfect strike, or if need be that text book spare. It's amazing how quickly the score adds up that way. Another thing I'll do when practicing is devote some time for the corner pins if needed. Sounds like you're on the right track so keep it up and have fun, by the way you'll probably find that your highest game will the easiest one you bowl.

owlish
05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I find that if I work on specific pins I get that pin(s) I'm working on in 3 frames. What I like to do is throw all the time like I'm in league that way every other shot is different. I probably think that is the long way to learn but it keeps it fresh to me. I'm almost to the point where I know what board to stand on for my strike (11 to 13 from center, left toe right handed bowler) and got the mark I aim for down already. What I've been doing is standing on the 11th board every shot and throwing a strike ball. My release needs a lot of work and I've also learned how to push off my ball arm in sync with my right foot moving (I'm a 4-step bowler).

Thx for all the input.

owl

owlish
05-15-2010, 05:41 PM
That's great! First time for everything...next is...???

Well you had to ask... :)

I bowled a 256 today! No open frames. Here is a score sheet link:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e355/anakid123/256.jpg

owlish
05-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Also would like to add, my current average is 142 and that score above is 100+ pins above my average.

mdmjdm
05-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Great!! Now remember what it FELT like during that game...you were probably relaxed, and thinking of nothing but your target...just sort of happened, right?

That is how it is supposed to be...a simple "look and roll" attitude. An acquaintance of mine, Tommy Gollick (Storm staff) rolled a 1179 four game set recently! 9 count open in the very first frame, followed by 47 (YES, FORTY SEVEN) strikes in a row. I haven't talked to him since, but I will GUARANTEE you that he was "not thinking" about much in particular but his mark.

A lesson for all of us, I think.

owlish
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I hit the pocket on every single shot that game, got robbed a pin on 4 shots out of 12. I am not boasting or gloating but that probably would have been a perfect game had I gotten enough sleep the night before, I was tired.

47??? wow, that's remarkable but I can understand how it's done. I threw on my mark every ball it seemed and I can reduce the game down to just that, throwing the ball. In fact I feel like the game should be called "Throw a ball" or "Hit the mark" because that's how those pins are gonna fall. All the energy and/or emotion isn't gonna force the pins down after the ball leaves your hand.

Gemfire
05-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Great job!