PDA

View Full Version : conventional vs finger tip

tracy
05-03-2010, 06:04 PM
somewhere i had read or heard that it was easier to hold onto a bowling ball with a finger tip grip vs a conventional grip. has anybody heard that or where did i read or hear that. i bowl finger tip but i'm thinking of getting my wifes new ball drilled from conventional to finger tip because i think it would be easier to grip. what are your thoughts?

DanielMareina
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Conventional grips are easier to hold on to. This is mostly due to the mind though. People feel like when they have less finger in the ball (fingertip grip), that they shouldn't be able to grip it as well. The difference is when you have a fingertip grip, the ball actually sits on your palm too. It is a more natural way for your hand to grip something. The only difference is at the top of the backswing. This point in the swing has the most force (gravity), pulling the ball away from your hand. This then will allow the ball to be gripped only by the fingers and thumb, not the palm. Other than this point in the swing, people will find the fingertip grip easier than they think. Personally, I try to talk anyone that wants to be a better bowler into the fingertip grip. It is where we all end up anyways, mine as well jump into the deep end and learn to swim :)

mdmjdm
05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Just be prepared for the fact that it doesnt feel like a better grip at first, especially to someone used to a conventional. The thumb will feel funny to them at first, it'll feel like it's falling off, their mind will make them squeeze it too hard, sending it to the ceiling, the next one will thud at the line...etc.

I used to make people I switched from conventional to FT roll it to me across the carpet a few times...made it easier on them when the shoes went on.