PDA

View Full Version : New ball

Marksnicks
05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
I recently bought a new bowling ball (http://www.bowling.com/products/storm-hy-road.htm) and it didn't fit anywhere near what my throwing style is. Fortunately my friend wants to buy it off of me because he loves it. I was wondering what kind of ball I should choose.
I am relatively new to bowling and do not know many of the terms.
But, i want a ball the hooks late but hooks hard.
When i throw i put alot of revs on it and i can even get some house balls way over on the lane.
I just do not know which ball would be best for me

crzysnake137
05-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Storm Reign, best ball out there in my opinion, the reaction? throw it out to 10 and it hooks like someone kicked it into the pocket, imo the best ball i have ever known. i absolutely love mine

Marksnicks
05-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Storm Reign, best ball out there in my opinion, the reaction? throw it out to 10 and it hooks like someone kicked it into the pocket, imo the best ball i have ever known. i absolutely love mine
Well i have a problem with throwing it all the way out then it hooks too far over and back into the gutter
Would this not happen as much with the Reign?

Strike Domination
05-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Sounds like your ball is hooking early and way too much? Assuming if you're right handed the ball is going to the left gutter. Where are you playing the lanes now? You may need to move further left(for a right hander) to find more oil. If there's not enough oil, you're going to have this problem and in my opinion it's pointless to bowl there without plastic or urethane balls. You may need to figure out when this center is oiling the lanes, if it's not every day(which can be the case for some centers during the summer) you're going to want to bowl on the day(s) they oil or maybe the day after. Or find another center that oils more often.

With medium oil, more or less, depending on your style, the Hy-Road should be getting at least close to the reaction you're looking for. It's not the ball as much as the conditions, I suspect.

bowleric
05-10-2010, 02:34 AM
Get a virtual energy drlled pin up,you won,t be sorry ,the ball will smoothe out your ball reaction

DanielMareina
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
The storm Reign is probably your best option if you are new to bowling or don't bowl a lot. The virtual energy is a wonderful ball too, don't get me wrong. I own both balls and love both for different reasons. The reason why I suggest the reign instead is because it is $70 more than the Reign, and you will have less over/under reaction with the CAM core in the Reign. Better bowlers can adjust to fix over/under problems with a line change or changing the coverstock, but for someone that is newer to the sport, the Reign will be a great ball for you.

Marksnicks
05-10-2010, 12:11 PM
OK thanks.
My friend is paying me full price for my ball so i dont lose anything on that.
I did talk to the people there(brunswick lilburn) an they said when i was bowling it was dry.
So that is my main problem.
They told me to come in during leagues because they oil it right before they come so all lanes should be wet.
Thanks for the information guys :)

owlish
05-17-2010, 03:30 AM
I own a Hy-Road and it's a beast. I have it drilled pretty agressive and it took me a while to learn how to throw it right, given the right lane condition. Not to counter anyone else's advice on this thread, building an arsenal is key if you're gonna take bowling seriously fun and competitive. Once you get your form down to a good performance level you'll need a spare ball for those shots out of your ball path range, like pin 10 if you're a right-handed bowler, or 7 if you're a left-handed bowler. I've got my approach on a solid foundation now and I cannot hit the 10 pin with my Hy-Road to save my life. I would rather not change anything but board position and just let a spare ball slide to hit the 6-10 area. A polyester/plastic ball is perfect for these shots.

I suggest you purchase a spare ball once you get your delivery/approach down pat. You're gonna need it. :)