PDA

View Full Version : Storm Tropical Heat (hybrid cover)

oldschoollefty
05-12-2010, 01:14 PM
First, the facts.
The ball was drilled 35 X 50 with a 5 inch pin (pin almost directly above bridge). No weight hole and box finish was left intact. This ball uses the same Turbine core found in the Fast and Furious. The shell is Reactor.

I've used this ball on three different patterns/surfaces and my overall impression was simple... this ball is a BEAST, especially when you consider the price point of the Tropical Heat line.

The first usage was on a very toasted house shot, HPL lane surface. My balls of choice in this league have been a Hy-Road and when they really fry, a Natural. The Tropical Heat fit nicely between those. I only moved my feet about two boards left (remember, I'm left handed and yes, it was right of the big dot ) of where I would have stood with the Hy-Road and fired away. I was surprised at how hard the ball moved off the breakpoint considering the core and how weakly I had drilled it, by comparison much stronger than the Fast or Furious which have the same core. Moving only a few boards right for the evening, I shot about 960 for the four game set with only a few crushing back row leaves to keep my set from being better.

The second time was at a regional in Del Rio, Texas on Cheetah on ProAnvil. Again, I was amazed how this ball just screamed off the dry. I ended up using a weaker Furious most of the tournament with the Heat performing well on the tighter pairs. That's not a typo folks, the solid shell 2000 sanded Furious was tamer than the Tropical Heat.

The third time was last night, late league on a very worn wood surface. The shot was a little tighter than the other league pattern, but no match for the Tropical Heat. (Figjam time... I shot 300 the last game).

Overall impression: Two thumbs WAY up! Storm has added a premium performance ball at an incredibly affordable price. To say this ball outperforms its price point would be an understatement. Thank you again, Storm. You guys just keep rolling out great pieces!

Kurt Gengelbach
Storm PBA Regional Staff Member

owlish
05-15-2010, 02:54 AM
I must say after reading this review I'm thinking about my next ball choice. Thanks for a good review!