PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw since January

Bullpride
05-12-2010, 08:34 PM
New to the forum and fairly new to serious league bowling. I have always been a casual bowler(years of "cosmic" bowling) and this is my first year in a league. I bowl in 2 leagues (a night league will normal house shot and a day time league with half oil house shot). I started the season with a 15lbs Playmaker and bought a 16lbs Jigsaw just after Christmas. I typically throw about 9games on average per week.

I spent most of my first season throwing 160-170 games but over the last few months have been throwing consistent 600 series.

I feel like I have already lost a lot of action on my Jigsaw despite cleaning it religiously and one a week having hte proshop grit it to 500. Is this typical for this ball? I know its about time to soak and clean it (which I didn't know about until reading these forums). My pro-shop owner is suggesting I buy a new ball (cant blame him for wanting to make money) either the Mutant cell or the Virtual Gravity. Can I salvage the Jigsaw to use for 2-3 competitive leagues over the summer?? Will I be happy with either of those balls?

Also wondering what 3-4-5 option bags are best and where is it best to buy them (can you tell I am interested in wisely spending the winnings from this season? lol)

TheRog
05-13-2010, 08:48 AM
New to the forum and fairly new to serious league bowling. I have always been a casual bowler(years of "cosmic" bowling) and this is my first year in a league. I bowl in 2 leagues (a night league will normal house shot and a day time league with half oil house shot). I started the season with a 15lbs Playmaker and bought a 16lbs Jigsaw just after Christmas. I typically throw about 9games on average per week.

I spent most of my first season throwing 160-170 games but over the last few months have been throwing consistent 600 series.

I feel like I have already lost a lot of action on my Jigsaw despite cleaning it religiously and one a week having hte proshop grit it to 500. Is this typical for this ball? I know its about time to soak and clean it (which I didn't know about until reading these forums). My pro-shop owner is suggesting I buy a new ball (cant blame him for wanting to make money) either the Mutant cell or the Virtual Gravity. Can I salvage the Jigsaw to use for 2-3 competitive leagues over the summer?? Will I be happy with either of those balls?

Also wondering what 3-4-5 option bags are best and where is it best to buy them (can you tell I am interested in wisely spending the winnings from this season? lol)

I have a Storm VG and I don't get it resurfaced till my league is over which is about 96 games. Also you have to remember that you can only resurface a bowling ball so many times until you can't use it. Also I would highly suggest to see if there is a coach around your area and get some help because MAYBE it's not the ball and maybe it's something your doing. Also I would make sure that you span on your ball is correct along with the pitch of the thumb hole. Here is people's review's on the jigsaw http://www.ballreviews.com/reviews/reviews.asp?BallID=993&ManufacterID=18

mrbill
05-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I just had my Jig sanded again 500 then 4000 to top it off.
I buy alot of used balls and have my proshop guy put an interchangable thumb inner slug into all my stuff.
New will always get you great hitting power, but after a while depending on how much you bowl you will go broke buying new stuff all the time.
I also picked up a 4 tote and a ball johnny on craig's list for almost nothing after I talked the guy down.
I pay 10 or 20 for good balls and 15 to 30 for 4 totes.
Ya got to be frugal hehe
Good luck and welcome to the boards Bullpride (http://www.bowlingboards.com/member.php?u=2840)

Stormed1
05-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Make sure to give it a GOOD bath. It may Take several to get all the oil out.. Had a customer that it took 12 baths to get all the oil out but he hadn't done it in about 150 games. Give it a bath about every 40-50 games and have them touch up the surface at about the same number

DanielMareina
05-14-2010, 11:07 AM
The problem with high end equipment is that it takes a lot of maintenence. If you were religious about cleaning your ball, the bath probably won't do a lot for you. Sometimes, certain balls will die past revival. The virtual gravity is an amazing ball! let me repeat, AMAZING, but after about 250 games it doesn't turn the corner like it used to. I have seen this happen with lots of equipment from every company. I can resurface the balls, and it will help for about 20 games, but it becomes more work than it is worth. If I were you, the new ball may not be a bad idea. If you are bowling 9 games a week, you could bowl the whole summer leagues and then get it resurfaced right before fall. I would recommend the Storm Reign of Fire, Storm Invasion, or Roto Grip Mutant Cell. Trust me, as a pro shop operator and a heavy bowler too, give Storm a try. You will never go back to any other company!