PDA

View Full Version : Next ball purchase

TempBowler
05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
I have recently just gotten back into bowling after about a 10 year break. I've been using a Columbia Scout and am thinking I am ready to step up to a stronger ball. I am a righty and don't have a tremendous amount of speed (14-15) and I would also say I am a low rev bowler. I use a finger tip drill with inserts and have been averaging around 160. I've been leaving quite a few 10 pins. Since the Scout has a very weak hook, I tend to start far right and send the ball down the right side and let the ball do it's thing. I am ok with changing my starting position, though. I'm looking for a stronger ball that is versatile enough to play various types of lanes/oil setups. I had heard alot about the Ebonite Mission from a few folks, but I'm wondering if it's too much of a ball for me or not versatile enough for various lane conditions. If that's not a good option, does anyone have any recommendations on balls? I'm going to see my local center this weekend, but wanted somewhere to start the conversation.

DanielMareina
05-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Although the Mission is a great ball, I wouldn't recommend it for the kind of bowler you are. Any top of the line ball these days tends to be too aggressive for the average bowler. I would recommend the Storm Hy-road if you want a versitile ball. I own two of them, and I even sold one to my own father. It is a hybrid coverstock, so it reads the mid-lane, but still has energy through the pins. The weight block is a simple design, and works great for anyone from the semi-beginner to the Pros. If you want a little more action then the Hy-road offers, I would recommend the either the Storm Furious or the Reign of Fire. They are both Matte finishes, and are both plenty of ball without being too much for most people. Good luck!

StriKING
05-28-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm recently back into bowling as well. I started with a couple of Brunswick balls that I picked up on e-bay relatively cheap. They were new, never drilled but were discontinued models released in '07. They're okay, but I have to tell you that my game improved dramatically when I started rolling a Storm Virtual Energy. Just picked it up a month ago. It is very aggressive but is forgiving at the same time. Worth every penny. You will not be disappointed with a Storm ball.

Stormed1
05-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Depending on how much more ball you want i would look at the Black/Silver Tropical Heat. It has a hybryd cover like the Hy-Road has but is a little smoother overall than the Gy-Road.. It's a substantial increase in performance from your Scout but still forgiving in release errors

crzysnake137
05-31-2010, 10:46 AM
yea i agree with stormed1, a tropical heat will allow you more forgivness, and allow you to play numerous tyes of onditions witht he hybrid cover,