PDA

View Full Version : New Ball Fanaticism?

owlish
06-01-2010, 01:11 AM
I have an idea to run by you chaps. New Ball Fanaticism. Have you noticed it? You've been rolling a while and then you get that new ball for that certain shot, certain oil breakdown on the lane or just the certainty of nailing that strike. I know I have noticed it in myself, this idea of a new ball and it's effects on my game/sportsmanship. I am an owner of a new ball and it's a good thing. Bad when it's needed to perform at peak levels. New Ball Fanaticism.

Pretty simply put it's the effect I've noticed when I pick up my new ball and feel the energy going through my body. Am I being fanatic about my new weapon in my arsenal? I'd rather not have to spend a good chunk of money to keep my game in good form.

I personally have seen a lot of players iterate that their new ball is "the bomb". I could be wrong but I seem to have taken on this phenomena. That new ball really has sweetened up my delivery but once the new feeling is worn off where do I stand? $180 to rejuvenate my game is just too much. And I don't have an 18-ball roller.

I personally ward off trusting in my equipment to get me to perform at my best. After all, what does the equipment have anything to do with it? Lots if you ask me, when it's not the catalyst for peak performance.

So that new sweetheart could be a good thing. Is it infatuation or a keeper? I'm personally in it through thick and thin, the long haul.

Just thought I would bounce this idea off you guys, what do you think?

owl

Strike Domination
06-01-2010, 01:40 AM
It's basically called new ball syndrome. Not the exact same thing you're talking about because it's when certain just have to get the newest and hottest thing. It's also when the bowler can't help but throw it even if it's not the best ball to use. What you're talking about seems to have to do with needing a new ball in order to perform.

owlish
06-01-2010, 02:20 AM
It's basically called new ball syndrome. Not the exact same thing you're talking about because it's when certain just have to get the newest and hottest thing. It's also when the bowler can't help but throw it even if it's not the best ball to use. What you're talking about seems to have to do with needing a new ball in order to perform.

Ah, new & hot versus plain new. I suppose they're the same but yet different.

Strike Domination
06-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Pretty much lol. Just slightly different reasons for needing/wanting that new ball.

StriKING
06-02-2010, 12:13 PM
It's like golf. You can have the best equipment, but if you don't use it properly, your game is going to suffer.
I jumped back into bowling with a couple of new, but discontinued, Brunswick balls I had picked up on e-bay. The balls were new and I had high expectations but my performance with them was inconsistent and ultimately lacking. Didn't even know what a PAP was before I had them drilled, so as a result they were not optimal to my game. I was compensating to the layout instead of the layout working for my game. After becoming very serious about my developing game, I was determined on getting a high-end ball to enhance my game. I had done my research, read tons of ball reviews, watched countless ball review videos online before settling on the Virtual Energy. In my assessment, based on my research, that particular ball was going to be my best choice given the THS conditions at my house. What I didn't count on was my house pro taking the time he did to work with me to ultimately decide on the best ball for my game, which in the end, turned out to be the same ball; although I was certainly made aware of the options before finally deciding. To even get to that point though, this guy spent a couple of hours with me, watched me roll upwards of 7 or 8 games, coached me through some approach and release fundamentals, (some of which I was way off on)... then and only then, when I was achieving some consistency after the 4th or 5th game, he measured for my PAP and we reviewed layouts based on what I was needed to achieve. What I wound up with was the very best layout to suit both the ball and what I was looking for in my game; what everyone looks for, consistency and performance. I took a lot more away from that experience than just a shiny new ball. I learned how to correct some of my mistakes, I learned how to release the ball properly and walked away knowing how to get the most out of the shiny new ball I just bought. That whole experience taught me so much beyond my desire for a new ball and was far more valuable than the ball itself. So while there is value in building an arsenal, I've also learned the right reason for adding a ball now and again. Not so much about the latest and greatest as much as it is about what makes the most sense for your game.

WAC4504
06-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Don't worry Kurt, after a while that new ball syndrome wears off, and just the opposite happens. You wind up not wanting to replace a ball you have become so familiar with. You wind up getting attached to that one special go to ball that you can do anything with, and you hate to have to replace it. Right now mines a Roto Grip Mars, on Medium light to dry lanes that ball is awesome.

Jord_84
06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
I've been guilty of new ball syndrome too. I'd drop a big chunk of change on a new ball and become so infatuated and stubborn that I didn't want to change to another ball regardless of the lane conditions.

A little older and wiser now, I'm glad I've hung onto my older equipment. One ball is 10 years old and works like a charm when my newer equipment won't cooperate.