PDA

View Full Version : approach bootie buffer

rastamaoli
06-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Is there a product out there that I could use prior to competition that removes the stickyness-like approach on the lane?

Thanks

kev3inp
06-06-2010, 01:44 PM
As a bowler you specifically are not allowed to modify the approaches in any way in competition. However, you may adjust yourself by changing the sole on your slide foot, should your shoes be so equipped, or wearing a "bowler's slide sock" a device that goes over the sliding shoe to help with this very problem. Do not apply anything to your existing sole, as this may create a problem for the other bowlers, and is patently ilegal, should residue be left on the appraoch due to your application of whatever substance. Other than that your only recourse is to ask the center if they can do something to alleviate the problem.

owlish
06-07-2010, 07:05 AM
What about Easy-Slide? Is that legal to apply during league/tourney?

owl

kev3inp
06-07-2010, 09:12 AM
You might be able to get away with it, but in tournaments I've been in, we were specifically instructed not to use it. Some people use too much and it gets everywhere, and all it takes is one person to complain. I've found that it's hard to use just the right amount, so I don't even carry it. I have a range of soles and heels for my shoes and that's how I compensate for approach conditions. That's not to say I never stick. I'm still nursing a foot injury from sticking. If you use it just be very careful with it and you should be ok. But if one person complains you can be disqualified.

JAnderson
06-12-2010, 12:22 AM
If there's a foreign substance on the lane, get the house to remove it, especially during league or tournament play. If it's humidity or general lack of care (or both) that is making the approaches tacky, you'll need to adjust your foot wear.

A good friend of mine owned 11 bowling centers in the Cleveland, Ohio area before he passed away. I asked him one day why some centers - whether wood or synthetic - always seemed to have poor approaches. (His centers always had awesome approaches, you know the kind you never notice). His reply was: if they don't take care of them, they'll get beat up pretty quick. Good bowling centers clean and buff their approaches every day.

Humidity is also a bad cause of approaches changing for the worst. Out west in the desert, we never had a problem. In more humid parts of the country it can be a big problem, especially now that it is starting to get warm. It seems like most bowling centers have never heard of a dehumidifier. Sad.

hokiefan76
10-01-2010, 07:32 AM
most of the time, i found that sticky mess is some oil that dripped from the machine when they oiled the lanes and forgot to clean it up. Get one of the Lane Techs to clean it up. Check your approaches first before you start any play so you can get it done before someone finds themselves deep in the skids face down. That is not a fun thing to do.