PDA

View Full Version : Confused...

rpkwon
06-21-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm relatively new in terms of all the ins and outs (terms, tech, etc.) and trying to get back into bowling but not really satisfied with my technique so I need help...

I bowl with a Ebonite Vortex V2 Strong with a 4th hole and finger tip grip but not getting my desired ball reaction so I'm in search of a new ball. I'm also wanting to change from a "stroker" technique to a "tweener/cranker." Please correct me if I'm wrong but is the ball drilled differently for the different bowling techniques? This is the conclusion I came to 'cause I've read that this ball should give me pretty good hook but I really don't see it.

As of now I stand at the second to the last dot on the right and aim for the arrow furthest right and do get it in the pocket with a stroker delivery. But my ultimate goal is to stand on the second to the last dot on the left using a tweener/cranker delivery to get a more extreme angle into the pocket. Any idea on a ball and how I should request the ball to be drilled?

Taku
06-21-2010, 01:42 AM
I think the whole tweener/stroker/cranker thing is suppose to be how you naturally bowl, i don't think there's a need to change that.

PSBA10
06-21-2010, 11:52 PM
First off, welcome to the boards. We will help all we can. But remember without seeing what you're doing the suggestions are only guesses. Many times they are educated guesses, but guesses never the less.

The first thing I would suggest is to get some lessons with a certified coach. The ball you are using is a very strong ball and if rolled properly should go coast to coast on pretty much any THS (typical house shot).

You asked about how balls are drilled. A stroker will typically have a strong ball drilled as strong as possible, where a cranker with the same ball typically uses a weaker drill pattern so that he can control the ball. The cranker will have a stronger release and have more "Revs" on the ball.

If you truely want to stand left and throw right I can't emphasize enough your need for a coach to learn the powerful cranker release.

rpkwon
06-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks PSBA10.
I guess that's what I needed to hear...get a coach...and some reassurance that it's me and not the ball or the drill pattern.

JAnderson
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
The fit of the ball - size of the holes, pitch of the holes, distance from one another, etc. generally doesn't change from release to release. Ideally, all of your equipment should fit properly regardless of what type of release you choose to use on any given day.

In my opinion, the definitions of stroker, tweener, and cranker have become muddled over the years, so I'm not going to use that terminology here in an effort to avoid any confusion.

The stated goal is "to get a more extreme angle into the pocket". You should know that you can accomplish this in a number of ways. Changing your release is one of the ways, but changing speed, changing your line, changing equipment, changing loft, as well as a combination of these changes can be used to accomplish your goal.

The V2 Strong was designed to be a ball that provides an even arcing motion. Having an extra weight hole will generally only increase the ball motion in the middle of the lane and decrease the motion on the end of the lane. You could switch to equipment designed for length with back end recovery to increase angle into the pocket.

Assuming you're playing a typical house shot, playing straight down the first arrow (playing "in the dirt") where there is the least amount of oil and the shortest amount of oil (measuring from the foul line) your ball will want to hook early. The more a ball hooks earlier on the lane the less it can hook on the back of the lane. Moving feet and target left to throw the ball more inside-out, starting the ball in the oil, will allow the ball to travel further down the lane before encountering the dry part of the lane. That delays hook and creates more angle on the back end.

You can develop different releases with different rev rates. Nothing says you can only use one.