PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into bowling, need some advice...

UNTRugby
06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
I used to bowl when i was young until about the 6th grade when I got into football and havent really bowled since. I wasnt too bad back then had a 160's avg and hoping to get back into shape.

First there are a couple of problems:
Time and money: Mostly just time, the closest bowling alley is about 45 minutes away. I know the easiest way to get better is with a coach but I dont think I will be able to find one around there. There is also another bowling alley 45 minutes in the other direction but the lanes arent as good and i might find a coach there but quality would probably be an issue.

I dont know anything about bowling: I didnt really learn anything when i bowled as a kid. I was able to do well with a straight shot that i could consistently put in the pocket. So for all intents and purposes I'm pretty much brand new to bowling

So i know i need to learn how to shot a hook shot, and i read plenty of articles and watched youtube vids, and i think i have to concept down. I went to the lanes and realized (as stated in most of the articles) that i cant even begin to learn my shot with the house ball. So until i do anything else i need to get a ball and need some suggestions on what one would be good. I do throw a bit fast and i cant seem to slow it down its probably the weight though (skinny fingers and 15# house balls dont mix). I dont mind one with a steep learning cure as id rather not have to buy a beginner hooking ball and then spend more money on another once ive learned.

Maine Man
06-24-2010, 01:55 AM
I work in a pro shop, and as an experienced bowler and ball driller, I will tell you the best thing you can do is seek out a reputable shop and have them take a look at your game and fit a bowling ball (and shoes) for you. They can get your correct measurements and set you up with the right equipment to get you going to the right path to a lifetime of enjoyment in the sport of bowling.

Your next step should be to seek out a good local coach, and get some lessons from him or her. They will be able to accurately assess your strengths and weaknesses and work with you on a one on one basis to help you meet your goals with the sport of bowling. After that, the rest is up to you. The sky is the limit, you just have to want to always improve and take in the knowledge like a sponge. You will find that bowling is a sport where there is always something new to learn, and as long as you are willing to listen and apply what coaches tell you, nothing is impossible. Good luck, and good bowling!

DanielMareina
06-24-2010, 10:59 AM
If you are just starting out, I would recommend getting an entry level reactive ball. They will help you learn how to hook the ball without being too aggressive. It is not worth the money just to buy a polyester ball, because if you get into it, you will just have to buy a better ball soon anyways. I would suggest a Storm tropical storm, Storm tropical heat, or Brunswick Slingshot. All three of these are good balls for the price, and a good place to start out learning how to bowl.
As for coaching, you can search your area on Bowl.com and see if you have any bronze or silver level coaches around, but if there aren't many bowling centers near you, that is unlikely. I would call the bowling centers and see if they have a coach, or know of one. Most times, at least one of the employees at the bowling center will be good enough to give you a few pointers here and there. I also suggest joining a league. Even though you are just starting out, leagues offer lots of benefits. First of all, it makes you bowl atleast once a week. Secondly, It usually will get you a great discounted practice rate, especially during the summer. Thirdly, It will introduce you to some other bowlers that will give you tips for free. Leagues are great for any level bowler, you just have to make sure you find one that matches your skill level. Good luck!

Omerta
06-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I just started taking my game a little more seriously. Money is tight for a lot of people. My local pro shop has some decent used balls. I picked up a Black Widow Bite. Got sized up and had the ball drilled to my layout. My game jumped quite a few pins. My point is you might be able to find a decent ball for a decent price. I'm lucky enough to be able to get tons of help and input from the house I bowl at. A good coach is a huge plus.

BaconLad
07-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi,

I've only been bowling for 10 months so my opinion might not be very valid but I'm gonna throw it in there anyway.

The way I see it, when your selecting a ball, theres 3 things to consider.
1, Lane condition, 2, Your style/preference, 3, What you want the ball to do.

Money is tight and I can understand if you want alot of use from a single ball, in other words you dont want to buy a load of balls (maybe 4 purchases) and work your way up to a high end ball spending $$$ along the way when you can just buy a top end ball now (1 purchase). But consider this, would you learn to drive in a ferrari?

Don't be put off when you hear "low performance" or "entry level".

If you will be bowling on a typical house shot often you wont really need anything more than an entry level ball, a Brunswick Slingshot for example will perform really well on a house shot. If your using a top of the range ball on a house shot it's kind of like using a bear trap to get a mouse, (if you understand what I mean by that). It will obviously work a treat, but not really necessary.