PDA

View Full Version : How To Fix A Right Hook

StrikeZone
06-21-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm coaching a girl and her ball is hooking right instead of left for its finish. I have thrown the ball and i can get it to come nicely into the pocket with a left hook every time. The girl is not twisting her wrist and has a great follow through with the ball. I'm completely stumped. Any and all help/advice would be helpful.

(The ball she is throwing is a Columbia Freeze 10lb)

PSBA10
06-21-2010, 11:34 PM
She is throwing what is known as a "back-up" ball. For whatever reason there are a lot of women who throw this type of release. In my Thursday mixed league, 6 women are throwing this type of ball. Several are long time bowlers and are averaging in the 170's. The others are still learning.

In order for this to happen the fingers are coming up the left side of the ball. The girl may have a great follow through, but at release her fingers are left of center on the ball.

Good luck working with her.

Mellen
06-22-2010, 07:50 AM
You would be surprised how many ladies throw backup balls. One of the reasons for this, unknown to them, is a mental thing. When they try to avoid hitting their right or left hip, a backup ball is the finished product. Usually coaching is needed to help them understand that they will not hit their hip. Check with a certified female coach on how to resolve this.

StrikeZone
06-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the help & advice, i'll definitely remember it & keep it in mind.