PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Hooking the Ball

Evan
06-26-2010, 10:41 PM
So right now my average is about a 150 but I am not getting a consistent hook from my ball. I am very good with my spares so I keep my average around 150 but I only maybe get 2-4 strikes per game unless I have the odd great game. My games basically go 2-3 games of average bowling barely any strikes, and then I'll get one game where I hit 2 sets of Turkeys and score relatively high. I'm not getting any sort of consistent hook out of my ball, number one I don't even think I am throwing it right. One guy from the alley told me to suitcase the ball the whole way which works some games but not others, and another guy from our Pro-Shop had me move the angle the ball 45 degress to the left and then twist my wrist but I don't think I'm doing it right. Can anyone help get me started with the proper way to use my hand?

BowlingObsessed
06-27-2010, 02:56 AM
the best way i could explain it is try to keep your finger tips behind the ball closer to the bottom throughout the swing without bending your elbow. when the ball reaches the bottom of the swing open up your hand and try to lift the ball with your finger tips. and when your in your stance have your wrist in a comfortable postion holding the ball and try to keep it that way throughout the whole swing

Evan
06-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Okay so keep your knuckles pointed down and at the bottom of the swing lift the ball with your finger tips, is that the point when I let my thumb out?

bigbowler76
06-27-2010, 11:59 AM
You shouldn't have to "let" your thumb out. When you come back out of your backswing and your hand is coming up as you are sliding your thumb should be coming out of the ball on it's own... If you feel you have to hold on to your ball the drilling is likely not right... Try this out, stand in front your couch our alongside your bed or something so the ball will land on something soft if you drop it. Pick up your ball and without squeezing with your fingers hold the ball palm facing down along your side... Do you have to clentch your fingers to avoid dropping it? If you do, your span is likely too short. If you don't have to squeeze to hold on, try swaying the ball a little, does it feel like your thumb is going to come out while your hand is moving backwards? That could be anther indicator that your span isn't right, or your thumb is too big... I know u live in CT. If you want to get together and roll a few games it is always easier to help someone when you can see exactly what is going on

WAC4504
07-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Evan, I don't know if you use a wrist support or not but it works great. I found that using the Pro Release has helped a great deal with being more consistent. The best advise I would give is to stay behind the ball with the elbow tucked in to your side, and let the ball do the work.

Dwnandin
07-03-2010, 08:29 PM
bottom line, you're not going to learn how to release a bowling ball online on a forum. You need to have a professional coach or at the very least a very good bowler work with you one on one and teach you how to roll the ball. 99% of the time, people who complain about not getting any hook spin the ball like a top as opposed to roll the ball like you're supposed to. My guess is you're spinning the ball, not rolling it, which is why it doesn't hook. I did that myself 2 years ago before I got serious about my game. I averaged 140. When I decided I wanted to start to get bowling I got coaching from the pro at my local pro shop and now, 2 years later I average around 210 on a typical house shot and I'm getting better every day. There's no substitute for quality coaching. You just have to commit to it and work hard to learn what your coach tries to teach you.

Chris2game
08-10-2010, 11:41 PM
While explaining how to correctly release a ball online is rather difficult, the best advice I can offer is a few tips:
- Your thumb should be the first thing out of the ball at the bottom of your swing.
- Make sure once you are out of the ball you have a solid, smooth, consistent follow through. Meaning don't feel like you muscle it, but make it firm.
- Try to feel your finger tips in the ball. Don't squeeze the ball, but feel your fingertips when you come out of the ball.
- In general, if you hold your wrist at a 45 degree angle, you will see some hook out of the ball.
- To get a consistent reaction everything has to be as close as possible to how you through your last ball. It should feel the same each time.
- Finally, Do not squeeze the ball or bend your elbow. Both of these cause you to muscle the ball and makes you do things different each time.

I hope these tips help some!

-Chris

Raydee
10-09-2010, 08:29 AM
I have been releasing the ball wrong for years and have always had mixed results. When I come out of my backswing I turn my wrist very early and then muscle the ball up so I get more revs. I found that all I am doing is top spinning the ball and unless I shoot it very slow my hook is horrible. When I do shoot it slow I get a lot of hook but you can tell the slow speed coupled with the top spin leaves a lot of 10 and 7 pins. I have just began working on keeping my hand completely under the ball but after years of doing it the wrong way it has been very hard to change. I am commited to ROLLING the ball now instead of what I was originally doing and I am sure its going to take a while before I get it right.

Coach 3G
10-18-2010, 01:30 AM
I'm going to echo Dwnandin as well and tell you that coaching will identify your problems and fix them faster than any of us can through the use of text. Without having a more detailed explanation (or video) demonstrating the problem it's difficult to diagnose, and therefore correct a problem. Best of luck!

PS to find a coach you can go on to bowl.com and use the find a coach feature, else ask around your local center or ball driller as they will likely know someone who coaches.