PDA

View Full Version : Hooking the ball too much.

NYStateofMind
06-27-2010, 01:57 PM
I just bought my first bowling ball which is a Ebonite Tornado. When I was bowling with the house ball I would easily bowl 150-200. Now that I'm using the Tornado, not only have my scores dropped dramatically but I can't seem to control the ball! No matter what I do, when the ball reaches the the 50 foot mark it just swerves off. I'm not sure if it's the lane. Can it be too oily? Is it my release? Really in need of some advice.

Edit*

Could it also be the weight? It's 10 pounds and might be too light and could be the reason I'm producing so much spin. BTW can you make the drill holes smaller since I will be giving this ball to my wife after realizing that it is too light.

I'm having a Homer Simpson " dope " moment right now.

bigbowler76
06-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Unless you can't physically manage it you should be throwing a 15 or 16 lb ball. Now what do you mean by swerve off ? Where does the ball start and finish? That aside, I would definitely try to increase the ball weight that you bowl with... If you give the ball to your wife they can fill and redrill the ball for her hand size

NYStateofMind
06-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Unless you can't physically manage it you should be throwing a 15 or 16 lb ball. Now what do you mean by swerve off ? Where does the ball start and finish? That aside, I would definitely try to increase the ball weight that you bowl with... If you give the ball to your wife they can fill and redrill the ball for her hand size

Thanks for the reply.

Yea I can physically manage it I just get worried about hurting my wrist. Maybe that might have to do with the release. I usually start my approach all the way to the left aiming my line to the 6 or 10 pin depending on the lane. The ball always looks good going down the lane and looks like its going to make perfect contact with the pocket but then it takes an awful swerve into the 7 pin.

JAnderson
07-15-2010, 03:33 PM
House balls are generally polyester or rubber balls. They're not designed to hook much if at all. If it does hook, it will generally hook evenly as it moves down the lane.

A Tornado is a reactive resin ball. It is made to hook. Although it may not hook as much as other reactive resin balls on the market, compared to a house ball, it is light-years ahead in hook potential. It is also designed to hook further down the lane. That creates a sharper, more "violent" reaction when it makes its move, thus the feeling of not being able to control it.

Srim23
09-30-2010, 01:04 AM
I know this is fairly old but I have to comment. Unless you are 10 yrs old then a 10lbs ball is way too light for you, it's probably too light for your wife as well. Also unless you insisted on 10lbs I would never go to the pro shop you purchased it again either. The pro shop operator should of tried to talk you out of it.

marcalvarez
09-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I agree with Srim23, way to light unless of course you have some serious wrist injury you did not mention. My wife is currently using an 8 pound ball. This is because she is dead set that anything else is too heavy for her. Of course this is insane and ridiculous but as many and most of the married men in this forum would agree our wives give new meaning to the definition of stubborn. Our pro shop guy has tried numerous times in talking her into going atleast to a 10 so that she can move on gradually from there. Well i think she is little by little realizing that she can throw a heavier ball. We are in a league that at the end we get a free ball (cheap plastic). We had to order our new balls this week and she actually ordered a 10 pound ball!!! I think the Earth just shifted and is now spinning on a new axis.