PDA

View Full Version : Similar Ball by Brunswick anybody?

Paralipsis
06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Today I bowled with a fellow employee. (side note, finally got a job at the alley) He's got two Hammer Bowling balls and a Brunswick Twisted Fury. I absolutely fell in love with the Twisted Fury. Then, my heart sank when I heard that they didn't make anymore. So, I'm coming to you guys, what balls by Brunswick are very similar to the Twisted Fury.

http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/downloads/info-sheets/Twisted_Furry_Reactive.pdf

There's the information. Anything? Also, throw out some recommendations with the stats below.

Ball Speed: 16-17 (depending on what pin I'm going for)
Rev Rate: 350+ me thinks (I know it's a high rev rate as I crank the ball down the lane)

I release pretty far inside. I'd have to take a look to get the specifics. I know when I release whatever ball I'm using, it goes from my release point to the other side of the lane, and then hooks back in.

StriKING
06-30-2010, 09:47 PM
David, even though they're discontinued, you can still find brand new Twisted Fury & Twisted Fury Destruction balls at bowling ball.com and also on e-bay...

http://www.bowlingball.com/search.php?r=2&sb=Score&sd=desc&req=brunswick%20twisted%20fury&pt=&fr=u6f5r69e8suqoh30smrjo2mmj5-15624

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=twisted+fury+bowling+ball&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I've got a fury Pearl. Good ball.

Good luck,

George

Paralipsis
07-01-2010, 02:25 AM
Unfortunately, Bowling Ball.com doesn't have them and ebay doesn't have the model I'm looking for. I bowled with the...red and white one. Reactive, I thinks that's what the sub-name was. Any idea what current models Brunswick makes that're similar to the Twisted Fury? I'm looking at the Python and/or Rattler. Looking for a ball that's in the same category as the twisted fury. Long-ish down the lane, and a strong hook on the backend.

Strike Domination
07-01-2010, 05:02 AM
I assume you mean the pearl, the one with yellow lettering. The Python is most likely the most similar, since it has the same coverstock. I remember the ball being fairly angular which I think resembles the Rattler too. The Rattler is probably a little more angular than the Python, and the RG value is more similar to the TF. So, right now I would say the Rattler is close but slightly stronger, while the Python is about the same amount of hook but not exactly the same shape.

Paralipsis
07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I assume you mean the pearl, the one with yellow lettering. The Python is most likely the most similar, since it has the same coverstock. I remember the ball being fairly angular which I think resembles the Rattler too. The Rattler is probably a little more angular than the Python, and the RG value is more similar to the TF. So, right now I would say the Rattler is close but slightly stronger, while the Python is about the same amount of hook but not exactly the same shape.

Between the two, which would you say I should get for my first strike ball?

Also, pin up, or pin down for a late reaction. If push comes to shove, I'll probably end up asking the guy who's ball I used if he could drop it off at the time I get mine drilled. His ball (asided from the weight hole) was perfect for me. Right size for my hand, was pin up, I'd say mid grade polish. Slid down the lane and snapped back with an angular break into the pins.

Keep in mind, I am a cranker and I take an approach that ends to the far left of the lane. I've always had that style of approach when I picked up one handed bowling (thank god I did). The Wild Card (or which ever one is blue) is the most aggressive ball I have used, and it hooked way to early for me.

PSBA10
07-01-2010, 11:41 PM
The only suggestion I can make is to visit the site listed below and open the "Ball Review SS". It will open a spreadsheet comparing all balls.

To use this, pick out a ball on which you know the reaction. Then move across the sections to see the numbers for your style on specific conditions. This should give you a benchmark to compare other listed balls. ( Make sure you start out looking at the "all balls" section. There are tabs at the bottom of the Excel spreadsheet listing the year of release and a master section of "all balls".)

It is a great tool. Good luck.

http://home.earthlink.net/~litefrozen/index.htm

Paralipsis
07-02-2010, 12:43 AM
I'll talk the pro shop owner at the alley I work at. In all honesty, that database confused the hell out of me.

Final question...between the two (Python and Rattler), which has a stronger backend hook?

Strike Domination
07-02-2010, 10:22 PM
From a numbers perspective plus what I've seen on video, the Rattler. Only slightly in my opinion though. I think you'd be happy with either but I'd lean towards the Rattler.

Paralipsis
07-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Cool beans. Thanks for the help guys. I think the rattler combined with a Brunswick Pepsi Viz-A-Ball would be a nice starting combination.

Stormed1
07-03-2010, 04:25 AM
You might want to wait till the 12th when the Anaconda comes out. Also the new C-System 4.5 is about 4 and 2 stronger and a little more angular than the Twisted. A c-System 2.5 would be a couple boards weaker than the Twisted a.. with the same drilling

Paralipsis
07-04-2010, 04:23 AM
At the moment, I'm going to shy away from the Anaconda and the 4.5 is a tad out of my price range when combined with a bag, spare ball, and shoes. What about the 3.5? Close to the twisted?

Stormed1
07-04-2010, 01:26 PM
3.5 is a much stronger midlane read than the Twisted. Why stay away from the Anaconda? It's a mid priced ball. We sell them for 159.95 drilled with slug & grips

Paralipsis
07-04-2010, 05:47 PM
3.5 is a much stronger midlane read than the Twisted. Why stay away from the Anaconda? It's a mid priced ball. We sell them for 159.95 drilled with slug & grips

So is the rattler. I've been watching the videos on Brunswick and it looks like the Anaconda has a much less angular break on the backend. The Rattler has that sharp break on the backend that fits my style. Any reason why I should go with the Anaconda over the Rattler? That's why I was shying away from it. The 4.5 is going to be out of my price range, which is why I'm not going to pursue that one.

Strike Domination
07-04-2010, 05:51 PM
The 3.5 is up there with the strongest balls on the market in my opinion, maybe just below them. The Anaconda would be much closer to the TF, but probably a bit stronger still.

Stormed1
07-04-2010, 07:31 PM
With you considering the 3.5 i figured you wanted a ball that would handle more oil and still give you back end reaction. The Rattler is a good ball, it just won't handle as much oil as the Anaconda. If you go to Brunswick's site Billo O. does a comparison of all the snake balls as far as their reaction and how they compare against each other in the Anaconda Video.

Paralipsis
07-04-2010, 07:59 PM
With you considering the 3.5 i figured you wanted a ball that would handle more oil and still give you back end reaction. The Rattler is a good ball, it just won't handle as much oil as the Anaconda. If you go to Brunswick's site Billo O. does a comparison of all the snake balls as far as their reaction and how they compare against each other in the Anaconda Video.

Yeah, I saw that video. Meh, I've gotta start somewhere. I'll get the rattler and upgrade later. Going to start with something I'm familiar with and then eventually get stronger equipment. Oh, and which pin setup is it for late hook? Pin up or down?