PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help

logicsound
07-07-2010, 06:51 PM
well after 10 years off I got the itch again. Need some advice on a new ball. Right now I am using a 16lb Danger Zone, I used to use a Red Alert but for some reason I can find it so I have been using my old backup which is the Danger Zone. Don't really know too much about my shot or how to explain but I will try.

Right Handed and I line up 1dot from center with my left foot and throw the ball on a slight angle over the 2nd arrow from the right. Ball will roll to 1st arrow and swing back and hit pocket. I was a 170 average with my Red alert and seem to be about the same with the danger zone so far.. I have average rotation and average speed if that helps any.... The danger is a little beat up and seems to die on me at the end of the rotation, this is probably my technique but it needs to be replaced. so I guess I am looking for a ball that is similar to the Danger Zone. Also ball feels heavy to me but I was always told to throw 16lb...should I go to 15lb?

Been looking at zones but it seems like they are not really do much anymore. so I am probably leaning towards a Storm as I had an El Nino back in the day that was awesome!

Thanks
T

WAC4504
07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
First of all welcome to the boards, as for the dots, they're in 5 board increments starting from left or right. Meaning that if you are right handed you count from right to left with the 1st dot being 5 and the far left dot being 35, and just the opposite for lefties. Theirs would be far left dot the 5 board , and the far right the 35. As far as a ball goes I like to look at web sites like Bowling Ball.com to get an idea of what I want, you can read the reviews they have, and then look up ball reviews on line to see what other people think. It would also be a good idea to check with your pro shop and get their opinion. Any way welcome back.

logicsound
07-07-2010, 10:14 PM
ok thanks! I guess I roll around 15 to 10 then. Any ideas what would be a good ball for me? The Danger Zone works pretty good but it has some very big gashes in it and needs to be replaced.

Thanks
T

StriKING
07-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Can't go wrong with an aggressive Storm ball; one of the Virtuals or the Invasion. (Takes a while to get used to having a scented ball though.) As far as weight, I stepped down from 16 to 15. No diff in reaction/performance and your arm and wrist will thank you for it.

Beech
07-08-2010, 02:24 PM
If you like the Arc than id say a storm, if your bowling on med - dry lanes i love the virtual energy. If your bowling on more heavy oiled conditions, look into the Prodigy and the Invasion or mabe the mutant cell solid or pearl, but ive heard mix reactions about the invasion.

If your looing for more back end id go with a hammer, The new Jigsaw trap looks promising to me or youcan look into the Blackwidow line *Sting,Venom,Nasty*. I currently throw 3 hammers and love them all.

But the best thing you can do is talk to your pro shop owner and have him watch you throw than he can suggest what to do from there.

Stormed1
07-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Asymetric balls such as those mentioned above are more sensarive to a consistant release. I would recomed a symetric ball. As for balls that would match up to your Danger Zone I would recomend the Tropical Heat Hybryd (black/silve) or the Roto Dark Star. If you need a little more oil handling a Furous or the soon to be released 2Furious. In Brunswic you couls look at the new Anaconda and Revolver

logicsound
07-11-2010, 10:18 AM
ok thanks, Have not been able to find a good pro shop around my area (charlotte, nc) so I think might get a tropical like suggested above to start.

So here is my stupid question of the day, How do I find out the oil conditions? No point in asking the people at the bowling alley, there clueless. It is a wood lane bowling alley but not really good at telling the conditions.

Is there a way to test it or something?

Thanks
T

jonesyman
07-12-2010, 05:39 PM
If the house is USBC sanctioned it must have its conditions certified. You might be able to contact your local association and find that information out (where the units of oil are, and oil length. Another thing you can do is get in good with the Manager/Staff of the center and ask if you can stroll down the service aisle next to the last lanes of the house. You can get a good sense of the oil consistency and length as you look at the lane as you stroll down. Keep in mind that the arrows are at 15 feet on the lane and the pins are at 60 feet. Most oil patterns are anywhere from 32 to 42 feet in distance.

- my suggestion on ball selection is one of the Vibes from Hammer. Very controllable.

- Something more aggressive? Rouge Cell form Roto Grip or Jigsaw by Hammer.

Hope this helps, high scoring!

logicsound
07-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all the help, ended up getting a roto grip mutant cell pearl. I went to the pro shop and he watched and recommended this ball.. AWESOME Ball!! shot a couple 200 games....