PDA

View Full Version : RG Mutant Cell, looking for more hook... is my ball drilled right?

Punkrulz
07-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Hey guys,

One of the issues I've always been having in the past was trying to get more hook than I have. Right now I have a very gradual hook, that on dry conditions can get the job done however if the lanes are soaking wet no matter where I throw the ball it's going straight. My form is almost right, however I know I probably am doing something wrong with my release that would be sacrificing my hook. I think to describe it, right now I throw somewhere around 2nd arrow right side into the pocket. I'm looking for a little bit more, and I know this ball is supposed to have a lot of reaction to it.

One of the concerns I had was how the ball was drilled. I went to a pro shop where a good bowler friend of mine had recommended, however I'm not sure if I got the same guy he recommended or not. I requested the guy watch me bowl despite him not wanting to in order of determining how to drill it. I explained I definitely wanted more hook than I had with my old Ebonite Predator since before 2003. I don't know if he went off of how I bowled, or what my old track was on the ball since again 7+ years ago.

Here is an image of the ball and how it's drilled. I'll let you guys be the judge.

http://www.twabbler.net/images/18865450139399214983.jpg

Also, there is a serious chip by either one of my finger holes. Will these potentially cause an issue? The chip by the left finger hole I can actually remove from the ball.

http://www.twabbler.net/images/88066720096775330689.jpg

http://www.twabbler.net/images/51670172024147832355.jpg

Sorry about the poor images, the only camera I have is my iPhone. Please let me know what you think about the bowling ball. I would be interested in getting some opinions from some of you guys. I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.

WAC4504
07-21-2010, 09:29 PM
First of all, welcome to the site, I'm sure some one here can give you some insight on your layout. What it sounds like to me, is that you may be coming over top of the ball, and/or trowing to fast, have some one that knows what they are doing watch you trow the ball, and see what they say.

Punkrulz
07-22-2010, 12:17 AM
I understand that speed may be an issue. I've done various things to reduce the amount of speed that I generate, including where I stand, where I hold the ball before moving, and just keeping an eye on it in other ways. I've tried to slow it down as much as I can. Today (Thursday) is my league, so I'm going to experiment with various ways of releasing the ball from my hand to see if I can generate more rotation. Furthermore, I may have the pro-shop owner at my local bowling alley look at the ball to determine if it is in fact drilled properly.

Stormed1
07-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Depending on where you are located some bowling centers offer free coaching. At our center we have hall of famer Alfie Cohn (not sure if spelling correct on last name) there on Thursdays. All you pay for is lineage

Punkrulz
09-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Here's an update on my situation with this ball as it's been a few months.

1) I've decided to stick with my local pro-shop. While the guy was intimidating, I spent some time with him recently discussing my game. One of the more major issues I've been having with this ball is that after about 2-3 games, the pad of the fingertip on my ring finger would become tender and sore. I know it isn't supposed to be like this.

2) After bringing up the soreness of the finger-tip, the pro-shop guy (Hereby known as Dave) explained that it could be somewhat of a span issue, or the placement of the fingertips. He kindly inverted the fingertips so I wouldn't have to contend with the lip on them to try and release the ball. While I didn't throw the ball differently, the finger tip issue did not subside. I bowled 1 game regularly with regular tips, and 3 more games with them inverted and they were sore.

3) Dave explained that it may be a drilling issue. He was experienced enough to call right off the bat who drilled the ball, which shows me his experience, and made me regret going where I went. He's plugging up the ball and going to redrill with a different approach, and a different thumb slug that would be more comfortable regardless of that not being an issue. I should get the ball back either late today, or tomorrow (Friday).

4) I'm also converting to a straight ball for spare shots. I'm incredibly nervous about this, but I think it will help me pick up spares more consistently on the right side once I get used to it.

The scary thought:

Dave definitely instilled some fear into me about my ball choice, as well as my pro-shop selection. Neither were intentional. He did mention that this ball may not be for my bowling style, possibly due to my low revs which I'm trying to work on. I will get videos when I can. After working with him, he made me rethink my experience with the other pro-shop. I now realize that I felt rushed on a ball selection and that I was inconveniencing them with purchasing a ball.

I asked a "hypothetical" question. "When someone comes in and is upgrading bowling balls, do you still require them to bowl some with the existing ball so you drill based on their throw?"
Dave's answer: Yes. I don't care what your track looks like, that may change over time based on your experience. Once I see how you throw, I know how to drill the ball.

I had to convince the other pro-shop guy to watch me bowl which I think he still went off of my track.

gparks
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
sounds like your with the right driller now let us know how it goes. and maybe he can hook you up with some lessons ,and get your problems solved. good luck and let us know how the new drilling helps

Big Dog
09-06-2010, 10:17 PM
There is a lot of fine pro shops out there. Certain things though to watch out for is trying to rush you. Bowling balls are as cheap or simplistic as they used to be. If a ball driller doesnt insist that you roll the ball in front of him(if a new customer) walk a way. On second thought,run. I have had some excellent ball drillers. Some of them drill for the pros. I have never been rushed except for one individual, who is no longer in business and has a bad reputation. Try to develop a good relationship with the pro shop operator. I have found it pays off in the long run. But, never let someone take advantage of you or your hand or wallet. I am sorry you had a bad experience, they are not all like that. Take the time to do the research on the equipment and the driller. Do not rush. Remember something that my old mentor told me,"You cannot buy a game." In other words, you must execute. Equipment is only one variable in the equation. Hope every thing works out.