PDA

View Full Version : What is Reverse Block?

rastamaoli
07-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Someone please help me solve this..

How does this affect me? Should I change my drill pattern? Or is it simply hand adjustment?

Lets talk.. Aloha

nathan
08-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Reverse block is when the lanes are dry on the inside and oily on the outside. Basically the opposite of a THS. So if you miss right, the ball skids right; miss left and it hooks too much. I'm not experienced enough to know how to adjust for this. I guess it depends how you roll it.

Stormed1
08-06-2010, 01:10 PM
There are 2 theoriex for shooting on a reverse block. One is to take something very aggressive and play up the lane in the oil. That being said it requires good accuracy and speed control. A little to fast and you miss the head pin right. Miss in a touch and you miss the building left. The other theory which seems to be used the most is go to something weak and play very deep inside (4th & 5th arrow). It all depends on what you feel comfortable with

Big Dog
08-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I use a weaker ball, sometimes my spare ball on this mess they call a pattern. David Ozio was the best at defeating this by what is called pitching the ditch. For right handers, move far right and let it go. Usualy using the 5 to 8 board for target.

Chris2game
08-10-2010, 11:31 PM
As everyone above has already said a reverse block is an oil pattern with oil outside (where you are probably used to being drier) and a very dry lane inside (where you are used to having oil). Depending on the length of the reverse block you have a few options on what to do. You can always try and play inside on the lane with a weak ball and try to play fall back. Fall back is when you basically set the ball down on the left side of the lane and push it right down lane. The ball then hooks or faces up right as it gets to the pocket down lane. This requires you to throw the ball soft with your hand or it will over react. Normally with a fairly weak ball or something that has a little pop on the backend.

Alternatively, you can play the oil. You are going to have to be very accurate here. Any changes you make here you will notice right away. You generally would want to play straighter to start until you break down the pattern some. Then you will create a bump spot that will give you slightly more area throughout the day. Your ball choice here would be anything that gets to the pocket. It all depends on how long the pattern is, the lane surface, how much oil there is where you are playing, etc.

Finally, you can alway try playing a point off the gutters. The goal here is to throw the ball straight at the 3 pin and let the ball hook the rest to the pocket. Generally, this is done with a fairly weak ball, but again it depends on the amount of oil and length of pattern.

One good thing about this pattern is you will very rarely run into it. This is because this pattern is not accepted by the rules of most organizations such as the PBA and USBC.

Hope this helps!
-Chris

Lhaimbhee
11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Question here, So how does this pattern ever end up on the lane. Is it purposely done with the machine for a challenge, or was it a mistake, or does it end up happening overtime or as the lane starts to become dry?

bowl1820
11-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Question here, So how does this pattern ever end up on the lane. Is it purposely done with the machine for a challenge, or was it a mistake, or does it end up happening overtime or as the lane starts to become dry?

Most houses wouldn't deliberately put out a reverse block, unless it was for some challenge event.

Most of the time the pattern has just broken down and become a reverse block from the middle of the lanes being played heavily. The oil has been use up there, pushed down and to the outside.

Also their are a lot of bowlers who miss read the lanes and think its a reverse block when it's not.