PDA

View Full Version : My Introduction

ffemtreed
07-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who provided information on this site. Been lurking for a couple of weeks now soaking in some stuff.

I used to bowl a lot when I was in HS and my first year or two of college. Bowled in a couple of leagues ended up with 215 avg at the end of one. I never had any consistency though. I was never able to adapt to lane changes.

Due to a shoulder injury I had playing hockey in HS, I pretty much learned to bowl with 2 fingers not using the thumb hole at all because I wasn't able to have a back swing. Everything I knew about bowling then was self taught, never did count boards, I always started at the exact same dot on the lane for every shot. Never counted or even paid attention to the steps in my approach.

Now here I am 10 years later from bowling my last game wanting to learn to do it right and get some consistency in my game. I been at it for a couple of weeks bowling my old style and I am just as inconsistent as ever, one week I started out with a 224 then the next game I bowled an 87 then 142.

The past two weeks I been working on my four step approach and my pendulum swing. I can now bowl straight as an arrow and even pick up some 10 pins that was a rare occasion for me back in the day. This week i have an appointment at the pro shop to pick out a ball and get fitted for drilling. Once I get my ball I am going to learn the proper way to hook.

I have no idea which ball I am going to get, but I used someones ebonite mission last week and it worked great with my 2 finger hook. I am just going to let the pro shop person guide me in the right direction. I used to bowl with an ebonite Turbo Resin ball, but I sold it when I stopped bowling. I have been practicing with my old spare ball (plastic) for now, i sure do miss having that Turbo around!

TheBob
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Welcome.

One thing I have noticed from 2-finger bowlers is that they are inconsistent. I've never seen someone gone from a 224 to an 87, though.

ffemtreed
07-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Welcome.

One thing I have noticed from 2-finger bowlers is that they are inconsistent. I've never seen someone gone from a 224 to an 87, though.

Lane broke down really fast and was hooking way too much. Kept leaving the 6 - 10 and missed it almost everytime. Unless I bowl straight I can hit the 6 or 10 to save my life. I am sometime too stubborn to switch to straight bowling.

I noticed the inconsistency in everyone I know that bowls with 2 fingers, which is why I want to learn a proper 3 finger release. The other reason is I am very sore the next day from having to throw the ball with my arm rather than just letting it fall naturally.

WAC4504
07-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey Jim, it's good to have you with us, what part of Eastern Shore MD are you from? I always remember as a kid we would go to Eastern Shore 'cause my father loved to fish that area. Of course he always stocked up on cantaloupe and what ever else was in season at the time to. We used to live in Alexandria VA, and it used to make for quite a day trip. Any way enough of that and back to the businesses at hand, welcome to the boards.

ffemtreed
07-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey Jim, it's good to have you with us, what part of Eastern Shore MD are you from? I always remember as a kid we would go to Eastern Shore 'cause my father loved to fish that area. Of course he always stocked up on cantaloupe and what ever else was in season at the time to. We used to live in Alexandria VA, and it used to make for quite a day trip. Any way enough of that and back to the businesses at hand, welcome to the boards.

I live near Salisbury. I know all about the fishing, I moved here from another state a couple years ago just to spend time on the beach(assateague) surf fishing.

WAC4504
07-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Man it's a small world.