PDA

View Full Version : Gripping the ball

cloppbeast
07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I've heard bowlers shouldn't grip the ball, but I've never really bought it. Subconsciously, I've always felt like I'd drop the ball if I didn't hold on to it, or if it was a tight fit I felt like my thumb would stick so I would try too hard to get my thumb out.

I bowled yesterday, though, and I was having trouble with my release and accuracy. I was lofting the ball and it generally wasn't coming out cleanly. So I decided to try something new and not grip the ball. It took a lot of internal effort because of my dropping the ball phobia; I kind of just decided this one time only I wouldn't care if I dropped it.

But, a funny thing happened: I rolled the ball perfectly, with a smooth landing, and I hit my mark. It was a little on the slow and the ball didn't even slide enough to go brooklyn so I knicked the 4, but that's not really the point.

As I continued to bowl quite successfully without gripping, my thumbhole got bigger or my thumb got smaller because I no longer felt a tight fit. I even dropped the ball a couple times.

I've heard to use tape, but I've never tried it. Would you recomend to just get a smaller thumbhole for my switch grip for times like these, or to use tape?

Big Dog
07-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Use tape. Your thumb will change size from salt and heat and cold. With tape you can make the thumbhole comfortable for you and adjust during the game. Also if the thumb swells too much, I use a touch of chapstik on the back of my thumb. Make sure though that you use only a little. If not the people on your pair will really get upset when the ball go past their heads, hopefully.

bowlerdawg
07-29-2010, 07:01 PM
depends on how much slack you have in the thumb, now that you have gone to the correct thumb feel in the ball. My guess is that if you were able to completely relax your thumb though and release the ball without dropping it, then it might be alright, and it's always a good idea to adjust w/ tape, as dog said. 2-3 pieces of tape make a huge difference, and I know how drastically my thumb has been this summer as far as swelling and shrinking, so I'm hitting the tape hard this summer

BaconLad
07-29-2010, 08:40 PM
What tape do you guys use?

Big Dog
07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
I use Vise and other basic tape. You can buy big rolls of it in the proshop. There are many different types on the market now.Check with the proshop guy to help you out. In the old days, we used medical tape in the holes. We were cheap.

bowlerdawg
07-29-2010, 11:46 PM
I use Vise and other basic tape. You can buy big rolls of it in the proshop. There are many different types on the market now.Check with the proshop guy to help you out. In the old days, we used medical tape in the holes. We were cheap.

I still carry a roll in my bag of the medical tape.......lol

for the ball I use AMF 3/4 surfaced tape, for my thumb itself I will use turbo patch tape and cut it to fit, butI have heard the vice pre cut stuff sticks really well, and know alot of people that use that for their thumbs

BaconLad
07-30-2010, 06:16 AM
I feel like my thumb hole may be ever so slightly too big, should I go for the tape thats pre cut to place in the hole itself or would I be better off with the tape that goes on the thumb?

When you say "medical tape" is that like what (I'm from England) we call a plaster? Like if you cut yourself?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm still learning. :o

J Anderson
07-30-2010, 03:39 PM
I feel like my thumb hole may be ever so slightly too big, should I go for the tape thats pre cut to place in the hole itself or would I be better off with the tape that goes on the thumb?

When you say "medical tape" is that like what (I'm from England) we call a plaster? Like if you cut yourself?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm still learning. :o

No need to apologize. According to Pete Kaval, my high school chemistry teacher, 'There are no stupid questions before the test.' And the test is every time you step onto the approach.

Also, as one of my favorite uncles was fond of saying, 'Just when you think you know everything about this business (30+ years as a carpenter/general contractor) you run into something new.'

When you stop being interested enough to ask questions, stupid or otherwise, it is probably time to quit.

bowlerdawg
07-31-2010, 12:30 AM
i would also recommend Ron Clifton's magic carpet for the best ball release in the game, really snugs up the thumb, and gives you a clean release every time

Chris2game
08-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Relaxing your hand is one of the hardest things to do for some people. But it is also one of the biggest changes someone can make to become more consistent.

My thumb hole is drilled bigger then my thumb actually is. You never want to be in a situation where your thumb is bigger then your thumb hole. You can always add tape to your bowling ball if you need it to be tighter.

I use tape on my thumb and tape in the ball. The tape on my thumb is more so prevent ware and tare on the back of my thumb and to create a smooth surface so my thumb does not stick on the back. Then, the tape in my ball I use 3/4 inch white tape in the front and 3/4 black tape in the back. The white tape provides more grip and is thicker then the black tape. The black tape is a lot smoother and much thinner if you need really minor adjustments. The brand of tape I use is AMF Bowlers tape and Vise red tape for my thumb.

-Chris

Punkrulz
09-04-2010, 02:08 PM
]This is the same exact problem that I suffer from. Everyone says not to "grip the ball", but I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly so I just want to be sure. When everyone is referring to this, here is my question: Am I basically not holding onto the ball at all, so during my delivery I'm basically just moving my hand in the motion and the ball stays attached? Or is this a method of saying don't overgrip the ball, meaning hold too tightly? I'm trying to get clarification because I too have a huge phobia of dropping the ball, or even launching it behind me. I don't understand how it works since I bowl with a pendulum swing and the ball goes straight out behind me.

gparks
09-06-2010, 09:05 PM
when you get fitted correctly for a fingertip grip ball. you should be able to not grip the ball at all.

when done correctly your thumb will release out of the thumbhole first allowing your fingers to lift and create revolutions. if this is'nt the case you need to get professionally fitted,becuase i know if im gripping the ball at all. im either dump it in the gutter,or hit the 7 pin

the last thing you want is a inconsistant release/and ball fit is soo important .