PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate for league?

BaconLad
07-30-2010, 05:20 PM
There's a league starting in the 2nd week of september at the new AMF in Bury - England

I'm not sure of the full details as yet, but I have had a brief conversation with the general manager to express my interest. They plan to play Monday night, Thursday night, and Sunday morning.

I'm still very far from the finished product (averaging about 155) and I'm a little bit worried that I'm not quite good enough yet and that I'll be out of my depth...

The other problem is that my partner in crime (Glenn) has no desire what so ever to buy his own ball and is more than content to just throw a 10lb house ball right down the centre arrow as hard as he can. :P
Despite the lack of technique he gets incredible pin carry and recently shot 205.
He is a little bit worried because he hasn't got his own stuff. Do people play league with house balls?

Just how serious do people take these leagues?

Should we just go for it?

Big Dog
07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Some people think they are the great thing in bowling. Dont worry about it. Have fun. You do this to enjoy. I am competitive. But, on league night in the mixed league, its all fun. Even so, competition doesnt mean rude. The know it alls are every where. Ignore and go on about your business. If your buddy wants to roll a house ball, fine. Please get him to get something heaver. Kids roll 10lb balls. Tell him that men use bigger balls.

Strike Domination
07-31-2010, 05:10 AM
Bowling, even league, is for everyone. Although there are leagues more competitive and high-scoring than others, you can bowl in just about any one you want. I've seen few people throw house balls in league but it's quite fine.

BaconLad
07-31-2010, 12:15 PM
If your buddy wants to roll a house ball, fine. Please get him to get something heaver. Kids roll 10lb balls. Tell him that men use bigger balls.

It's strange that he insists on a 10lb ball, he's a really big stocky lad, about 6.3...

At first I tried to tell him to slow down a little bit, pay attention to the boards/arrows, move a little bit right and just try to put a few revs on the ball, but he was happy to do it his way so I left him to it... He beats me at least 50% of the time anyway haha. :o

He could be a great bowler though.

Big Dog
07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Anything below 14lbs is for kids or someone with a disability. I know that sounds rude. It is my personal belief and no one has to abide by it. Your friend could be possibly be great. He possibly be greater with heavier equipment. I have coached a lot of people over the years and I truly believe that heavier equipment will increase your average. With proper mechanics, the heavier equipment will help with a free arm swing. Because if you try to muscle the heavier ball, your targeting go to stuff. You know what I mean. Having fun though is the number 1 thing. Any interview you see with someone successful in most areas say they have a love or passion for it. I have a joke right here, I cant use.