PDA

View Full Version : New ball, and wanting opinions on layout?

chris91
08-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Hey guys, im new here and was curious about a new layout for a Plague. Iv been thinking of maybe a full roller layout because i track over my thumb. Ive always been successful using 3/4 drills, so im not sure if i even wish to try it, but i was just curious to get some opinions. Another question, ive been considering 16 pounds, i know no one throws it anymore but i feel it might help me rather than hinder as my ball speed is around 18 at the breakpoint not the heads, and i have a high backswing. i know people always think its cool when they see me bowl with the backswing but i can tell you. I hate it. and im thinking the extra pound may help lower the swing and lower my speed and maybe slow my feet alittle. thanks guy for reading hope to read some comments.

Chris2game
08-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Hello Chris.
The ball layout depends on what you want the ball to do. Where will it fit into your other equipment. You could go with a leverage drilling being your strongest or have it react smoother down lane. All depends on what you want it to do. If you track over your thumb hole you need to get that fixed. Meaning you might need a different drilling style. Tracking over your thumb will cause you to get a very inconsistent reaction.

As for the extra weight and back swing, going up the extra pound might only help you for a little bit. Meaning it will be heavier then you are used to in the beginning, but you will get used to it and your swing will probably end up where it is now. You can always try to lower your back swing and/or ball speed different ways. A high back swing comes from your leading shoulder dipping far towards the lane. This lowers your front shoulder and raises your back shoulder. It could also be caused by your swing being very muscled or starting the ball too high on your body.

If you feel your swing is fairly free then try lowering where you start the ball. It will give the ball less distance to fall which causes it to go higher in your back swing. This is also a good way to try and slow down your ball speed. You need to completely relax your swing and it should slow your ball speed down some.

Hope this helps!
-Chris
Come check it out!

chris91
08-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Thanks alot Chris. I ended up getting the new motiv recon. I decided against 16 and went with 15. i ended up drilling it 70x 4.5x 45. It rolls awsome really smooth and hits real good. first time out of the box averaged 250 for 4. I have not gotten to try it on a sprt shot yet, i feel it will do well because its real smooth and doesnt do anything stupid. Im not sure what im gonna do about the backswing yet. I have a pretty free swing, i dont muscle the ball, but not sure about working on it just because ive been bowling well and dont want to change anything. i finished my sport league at 185, but i think i can do alot better because i need to work on some spare shooting.

Chris2game
08-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Thats awesome. My friend is looking into getting a Recon. Everything I have seen from it does look really good. Smooth, not jumpy but hits hard.

If you are bowling well leave your back swing the way it is no need to change it unless you really want to.

Good luck with the new ball!

-Chris
Come check it out!

chris91
08-13-2010, 02:04 PM
it does roll really good. It rolls almost just like a urethane ball just alot stronger than urethane. It has a odd smell, it smells just like thumb solids, kinda weird but it doesnt matter to me.