PDA

View Full Version : Question about entering Tournaments

Kevinls
08-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey Everyone,

Got a question, and hope you guys excuse my ignorance on this.

Ive bowled most of my life in leagues growing up as a youth and when I entered tournaments it was with the help of my the league director. I have since stopped bowling during my time at college and would like to get back into it.

Now that I am living on my own with a full time job, I dont think I have the time commitment to join a full time league but would like to bowl in the occasional sanctioned tournament.

Is this even possible? Do I need to establish an average at some point? How do I join the amature ranks, and do I need to worry about this for scratch tournaments anyways.

Any light on this will be helpful, I just want to bowl in the occasional tournament and not commit to a league at this point.

Thanks.

Kevin

DanielMareina
08-22-2010, 11:39 AM
You do not need to be a USBC sanctioned bowler to bowl in a lot of tournaments. Any scratch tournament won't care if you have an average, but you will need to be a 200+ average to stand a chance in those tourneys. Otherwise, you can bowl in Amatuer Bowler Tour tourneys. They have a yearly dues you will have to pay, but then they keep their own average within their tournaments. Also, if you bowl at one bowling center enough, you could ask if you could keep an average for your practice games with the center. My center will allow you to use your practice average in house tournaments. Other than that, you can join a league and bowl 21 games and then quit. That will give you a legitimate bowling average for about 18 months. Hopefully one of these options works for you. Good luck!

Kevinls
08-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks,

I am about a 210, so i suppose I could be in some of these tournaments and not look too foolish. I will look into your other suggestions. Thanks

Kevin

Stormed1
08-25-2010, 09:48 AM
another option would be join an every other week or a once a month league to establish a "book" average. Or join a league as a sub and get your 21 games in that way