PDA

View Full Version : Storm Reign and Reign of Fire, Dead/dieing

crzysnake137
08-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Two of my favorite bowling balls seem to be dead, and i cant figure out why, they just dont move like they used to, ive baked them, sanded them, polished, combinations, resurfaced everything, i just cant figure it out? if u have any ideas please let me know

DanielMareina
08-25-2010, 11:30 AM
The best way to revive a ball is to sand it with 220 grit sand paper, and then put it in a bucket with water that is half boiling and half the hottest your tap will give and then add a little bit of dish soap. This will be the right temp to not crack the ball and the soap is used as a degreaser. Leave the ball in for 15 minutes, and then pull it out and wipe it off, then repeat twice more. After all that is done, sand the ball back to it's box finish.

Another thing to think about, bowler's positive axis points will move after time. I had two balls that I thought had died, and upon further inspection, I found out my axis point had moved about 1/4" down. This made my pin length go from 5" to 5 1/4" and made the pin higher than it was before in comparison to my axis point. I plugged and redrilled the two balls back to a 5" pin and they both started acting like they had before. I advise my customers to come in and get their axis point rechecked every 6 months.

Chris2game
08-25-2010, 11:19 PM
You also have to be careful when you bake the bowling ball. You could over bake it and make the cover stock not nearly strong. I am not sure if the chemistry behind it, but I know that it happens.So make sure you are careful with it.

DanielMareina
08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Don't bake it at all!!! It isn't safe to do. When balls where made out of urethane or Rubber, it was an alright practice. Reactive Resin will crack at the lowest temperature that most oven goes to. You do not want the ball to ever be exposed to heat over 170 degrees. The water method is what is recommended by the manufacturers to not hurt the ball. The only bad thing that can happen is that the wax coloring in the writing on the ball can melt or bleed out a bit, but that doesn't effect the balls performance.

crzysnake137
08-27-2010, 12:09 AM
i baked the balls in a revivor over, anyway, what happens with the finger grips? anything. ive got to do something because the ball was one of my favorites, until it just "quit"

DanielMareina
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
What do you mean about the finger grips? You won't melt rubber at those temperatures as far as I know. I don't know that for sure, but I haven't had a problem with it in the past. You may need to check the super glue afterward to make sure the grips won't come out when you throw it.

Stormed1
09-01-2010, 07:58 AM
How many games do you have on it? Normal life on finger grips is about 60-70 games before they need to be replaced due to wear. The loss of lift due to wear will affect your ball motion