PDA

View Full Version : Need to Upgrade Equipment

wseidl515
08-24-2010, 11:06 PM
I have been away from the bowling alley since about 1995. I finished the last half of the season for a friend and realized that my bowling balls are so far out dated it is embarissing. I currently have an AMF Cobra drilled finger tip with inserts. it was drilled with one ounce of side weight and a half ounce of top weight with a counter weight hole. I also have a Columbia U dot drilled the same way. I prefer to throw the ball to the second arrow with a hard snapp and punch on the back end. I am used to the urethane covers of the 90s so I am totally lost with the new balls today. Any suggestions would be a great help.

Speed 14-16mph
Revs on the low end.

Stormed1
08-25-2010, 09:41 AM
There are a lot of great balls at the "ENTRY L EVEL" price poing. Freeze , dark Star, Riot, Tropicical Heat , Slingshot. Al of them retasil in our shop from $109-129 drilled w/slug and grips. To me the best 2 out are the Dark Star and the Tropical Heat ( i prefer the black/silver which is a hybryd cover). They give great performance at a relativly cheap price point.

DanielMareina
08-25-2010, 11:15 AM
I too really like the Hybrid Coverstock Tropical Heat. It is a great ball for the price, and is plenty of ball without being too much ball for someone that isn't used to today's reactive equipment. If you like it to go straight up the boards and then have a good hit in the backend, you would probably prefer the Pearlized version of the same ball or the Storm 2 Fast. The slingshot and freeze are both really good balls too. Just as a side note, now-a-days the side weight and top weight only matter to make the ball legal. With the core and coverstock technology they make now, the side weight makes almost no difference in the ball reaction, other than if it is enough that a weight hole needs to be added. If you want a ball that goes long and snaps, make sure your Pro shop guy finds your positive axis point and then gives you a high flare layout with the pin above your fingers. That will let the ball get down the lane before reacting, but still optimize the ball reaction once it flips. Good luck, and welcome back!