PDA

View Full Version : First time poster from South Jersey!

Punkrulz
09-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Hello everyone!

My name is Dan Lewis. I've always enjoyed bowling, and had the pleasure to take up the sport / hobby while in high school. Back then, I kind of hopped between JV and Varsity... sometimes too good for JV, and not so good for Varsity. Consistency was always an issue. I was a part of the team when we won 3rd in our conference tournament, however I believe I only bowled the last game of a 3 game series due to a freak accident (My thumb became SUPER swollen during the trip to the lanes on the bus... I blame the moisture + conditions on the bus ride, and only managed to bowl the 3rd game if I recall). Back then I bowled with an Ebonite Predator.

I kind of gave up bowling after that... not intentionally, just only did it for mild recreation. I went through a bad breakup in Sept 2009, but there was a blessing in disguise: I reinvigorated my passion for bowling. I've since done one league with some friends even though it was a 9pin no-tap. I upgraded to a RotoGrip Mutant Cell during this time. My average was a 218 during the league with a 300 HG, but that all doesn't really count as it's no-tap.

I'm going to be starting my next league on 9/10/10, which is a real league with some more friends. I'll be able to more accurately track my average. I'm making some changes during this time though, so I hope they don't change my game for the worse. My ball is being redrilled due to fingertip tenderness issues on my ring finger, and I'm now going to be converting to a straight ball for my spares which hopefully will be in tomorrow (Brunswick TZone).

I look forward to some how obtaining videos of me bowling and getting my questions answered. I've always been a fan of message boards so Google led me straight here!

Big Dog
09-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Good to have you. I am glad you had someone to help you with the ball. With finger tenderness, sometimes you can use vise grip finger tape. It protects the tips up the first knuckle or higher. If redrilling doesnt solve the whole problem consider that. Or if it takes a while for your fingers to heal. Good luck.

Punkrulz
09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks Big Dog.

The change that they made to the span was very subtle and I'm not sure if that resolved my issue. Myself and the pro-shop owner feel it's how I'm holding the ball. When I'm standing on the approach getting ready to throw, I kind of angle my wrist inward, which is putting additional pressure on my ring fingertip. He told me not only is that hurting my hook but hurting the finger tip, so I need to try to stop doing that. Mentally I recently started doing that thinking it would help the hook.

Now I have my spare ball as well and am just anxious to get started in this next league.

Big Dog
09-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Most of proshop guys have been long time bowlers. I suggest you may see if your house has a inhouse coach or someone they or proshop recommends to help you. I am a certified coach. I suggest that you keep your hand behind the ball till release. Remember you roll a bowling ball. It is kinda like shooting a free throw with a heavier ball. Good luck son. If I can help I will.

Punkrulz
09-04-2010, 05:19 AM
Thank you! I'm glad I got to meet the pro-shop owner the other day. He even recommended bringing out the camera and the software to review my throw and comparisons to see what exactly I'm doing wrong. I'm definitely going to engage the owner as much as I can, and it helps that he's extremely friendly! His other manager isn't so nice, but he seems to know what he's doing at least!

WAC4504
09-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the site, it's great to have you with us.