PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Expect From This Layout

Ryan_W
09-10-2010, 01:23 PM
This is an old El Nino X-It. Really nice ball back in 2001-2002. I'm curious about this layout, tho. I'm pretty sure having the pin above the fingers will help it get down the lane, but the mass bias is basically on the thumb hole, maybe a little left of it, but not in the track at all. What do you all think this drilling was designed to produce? The cover is 800 matte, with some hand applied factory finish polish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnw124/4977415518/

Punkrulz
09-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm definitely not a professional, however my ball is drilled somewhat similar to that. After researching what it would do, I came to the conclusion that having the pin closer to your location is going to provide more of backend roll on the ball.

DanielMareina
09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
The pin placement only will tell you something if you know your Positive Axis Point. That pin location, on an average bowler's pap, would be above the fingers to make the ball react later. The pin is, once again for the average bowler, in a very strong position (4" pin). Having the mass bias in that position is meant to maximize dynamics of the core. It also smooths out the transition of the ball. Assuming that you have a regular PAP, that ball would roll later in the midlane, but due to the coverstock, will read a little midlane. It will then unload the core in the backend with a smooth rolling, but strong reaction. I recommend finding your PAP and then I can tell you exactly what the layout is meant for and what it will do.

Ryan_W
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Ok thanks! I'm wondering about this because I'm looking for a nice solid that can open up the lanes on fresh oil. I've been using a VE primarily but I'm basically playing a down and in line until about midway thru the 2nd game. The X-It is an old particle ball but its still a particle ball. I do recall that right after I had it resurfaced to 800 matte, which is the out-of-box finish, it was really burning up quick and coming into the pocket pretty flat. I applied some polish and now it gets down the lane more, but it has what I think of as a slow-moving arcing hook into the pocket. Can't really play inside at all with this ball on fresh oil.