PDA

View Full Version : Layout Question

Darryl
09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question about a proposed layout and what your thoughts might be.

My PAP is 41/2 x 1/2 up

Roto-Grip Dark Star with a 2" pin.
Pin placement will be 6" from PAP and under the middle finger
CG will be as close to the centerline and midline as possible.

I'm trying to keep the CG as close to center as possible, and with such a short pin I have to put it under the bridge.

Has anyone here tried this layout, and if so, what was your experience with it?

Thanx...

Trex
07-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question about a proposed layout and what your thoughts might be.

My PAP is 41/2 x 1/2 up

Roto-Grip Dark Star with a 2" pin.
Pin placement will be 6" from PAP and under the middle finger
CG will be as close to the centerline and midline as possible.

I'm trying to keep the CG as close to center as possible, and with such a short pin I have to put it under the bridge.

Has anyone here tried this layout, and if so, what was your experience with it?

Thanx...

Darryl,

For many bowlers this layout is weak, but for me it is too strong!!! ....most of the time.

For a High Tracker......"A bowler who's track is high on the ball"... meaning that there track is just left of the middle finger, and just left of the thumb hole,(for a right handed bowler) close but not tracking over the finger holes....This layout may make the ball flare over the finger and thumb holes!! ...In this case you would want to keep the Pin in the safe zone for a high tracker...to the right or above the finger holes.

You can get by with this layout if you learn to add more axis tilt as I have done, and not have any issues, but be aware that there may be a problem with flaring over the gripping holes....especially on short oil patterns that make the ball check up too soon, where you may hear the ball rolling over the gripping holes as it goes down the lane.

I myself did not have that problem as long as the Pin was kept right of ring finger and cg was kicked right 45 degrees and the balance hole was on the VAL where it intersects with the mid line and size 1" X 2 1/2 deep.

With the Pin to cg distance of only 2" ...The Pin being under ring finger and cg towards grip center, I did have problems with the ball flaring over the gripping holes. I had to learn to add more axis tilt by changing my release to force the ball to track lower....This is not something that everyone can do, so all you can do is try it and find out.

For a bowler who's track is lower... this won't be an issue or should not be an issue.

As for the results I have had with this layout:

(1) I must play a deep inside line with this layout because for me it is too strong to use for a down and in line, unless I can get my ball speed up closer to 19 to 20 mph, and even then if the oil pattern is too short then the ball reads the lane too soon, and the ball hooks too much, too soon, to play down and in.

(2) Again... With this layout it works Great for playing a deep inside line, swinging the ball from 25 or 30 out to 12 or even 5 depending on the oil pattern.

I have had success with this layout, but remember...depending on your release you may or may not have the same results as myself.

If you must use this ball with such a short Pin to cg distance, and you do have problems with tracking over the finger and thumb holes using this layout, Then simply keep the Pin to the right of ring finger and cg towards grip center or towards thumb quadrant and use a balance hole if needed to bring the ball back legal.

You can even swing the cg 45 degree's right....doesn't matter...USE A BALANCE HOLE IF NEEDED!!

I had a Track Trition Elite bowling ball with the same 2" Pin to cg, ...drilled the ball with the Pin right of Ring finger with cg kicked out 45 degree's and put a 1" x 2 1/2 deep balance hole on VAL where it intersects with the midline, and the ball was awesome!!

Some people shy away from balance holes because they do not comprehend how to fine tune a ball by using the right size and depth. An Amateur ball driller will do everything possible to stay away from balance holes not knowing the truth about how to fine tune a ball by the use of a balance hole!!

I can't help but laugh at them when they try to say....I can't do that...the balance hole is just to bring the ball back to legal weight and nothing more!!... I then roll my eyes and know not to let that person drill my ball....lol