PDA

View Full Version : new here with ?'s

Majick_Ninja
09-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Hello I am new here and just getting into bowling joined an 8 for 8 league 8 dollars a week for 8 weeks and then at the end you get a free white dot bowling ball but I need to know if there's any tips and tricks you can tell me that will help I bowled a 59 yesterday the only other times I've bowled were as a kid

marcalvarez
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Hello Majick_Ninja,

I myself am a new bowler, (about 6 months or so) just to let you know its alot tougher than it looks but with good advice (coach and better bowlers) you will be soring much higher before you know it. Im assuming that your using the "house balls" you going to be pretty much trying to throw it as straight as possible. Your target should be what is reffered to "the pocket" which for a right handed bowler it the head pin (1) and the pin the the right of it (3) (from your point of view) and for lefties is the pin to the left of the head pin (2). I dont know much but this should be some basic information that you should start off with. It seems like your really interested in the sport and youve come to the right place i have used alot of the tips and advise provided in these forums.

Majick_Ninja
09-30-2010, 04:15 PM
I went from bowling a 59 to bowling 94 today

marcalvarez
09-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Thats awesome, Good Job. Now your next goal should be 100! then 150! and so on and so forth. its a great sense of accomplishment when you practice and practice and see the results. My last goal was to bowl a 500 series (a series is 3 consecutive games) i was able to get taht last week during my league play. Now my next goal is to bowl a 600 series/ and or atleast 2, 200 games in a series. its great to set yourself goals. keep having fun and good bowling!

Beech
10-04-2010, 07:03 AM
As he said just keep setting goals and pratice, if your bowling straight remember to keep your elbow beside you and always beside you to throw straight if not you have the risk of "chicken winging" it and getting into the gutter, not fun. i went from being a 110avg bowler and currently have a 205 avg in 1 year its just pratice and the equipment helps with a hook.

J Anderson
10-04-2010, 08:50 AM
As he said just keep setting goals and pratice, if your bowling straight remember to keep your elbow beside you and always beside you to throw straight if not you have the risk of "chicken winging" it and getting into the gutter, not fun. i went from being a 110avg bowler and currently have a 205 avg in 1 year its just pratice and the equipment helps with a hook.

Even throwing a hook the elbow should be in. the old " chicken wing" puts too much stress on the ligaments and tendons.

Majick_Ninja
10-04-2010, 10:55 AM
I bowled a 111 the other day with the thumb hole to big in my new used ball it's a cell now that they fixed the thumb hole I should get a better average than what I've been bowling

BallBuster
11-16-2011, 03:29 PM
PRACTICE. . . PRACTICE. . . PRACTICE! If you're practicing and you see a bowler with some skill, don't be afraid to ask for some help! I did it again and again over the years and had several coaches. It made me better in the long run. Remember, there's always something someone knows that you don't.

HunterRunsIt
11-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Determination is key in bowling, Eventually the best bowlers hit a point in time where they lack consistency or another important aspect in the game so when that point hits just keep your head up and keep on bowling! As for advice keep your arm straight shoulders square and bowl your heart out.

chad_k
11-18-2011, 04:17 PM
and dont forget to have fun!!!

phonedrn8
11-19-2011, 08:04 PM
pratice pratice pratice

littlelegs
12-02-2011, 01:55 PM
As they've all said...practise. Maybe read a few articles on basic targetting too, as aiming at the right place can help (which usually isn't by looking directly at the pins). Primarily though you simply want to develop a smooth, rolling release to start off with if you're using a house ball and get some muscle memory in (again the practise part).

bdpeters
12-02-2011, 02:48 PM
that sounds like a pretty fun league you are bowling on.

Bri

got_a_300
12-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Here is a link to some helpful videos that might help you out some on learning some of the basics
and as chad_k said don't forget to just have some fun when bowling. :D
http://www.bowl.com/welcome/coaching.jsp

Almost forgot about this place it has some great tips on bowling scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/roncarchive.htm

LBL
12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Am new to the sport my self but what helped me was watching utube. they have some good tips on there and i would watch clips of the pros. hope that helps

martinezsam2495
06-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Remember when you stop having fun, is when you start to stink!