PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Cell Pearl Review

cmsubowler
09-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Mutant Cell Pearl is one of the more aggressive bowling balls that I have had the opportunity to write a review about. I drilled two of them up and you can see them in the following video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04E-sZU23EY

My preferred layout for this ball using the dual angle layout technique is 65 x 4.5 x 65. With my grip (Sarge Easter - dropped ring finger to conventional fit while the middle finger is fingertip) this drilling puts the pin directly in the center of my ring finger. This drilling allow me to move my feet left and use the oil in the middle of the lane to help the ball down lane. The ideal surface for me is a used 4000 abralon pad to take the polish off but still smooth enough to make it through the front part of the lane with ease. As you can see in the video, the ball maintains its initial rev rate off the hand for the first 35 feet and then begins to rev up into a very heavy roll as it transitions toward the backend making a very strong arc (almost snap) into the pocket. Hitting power on this ball is very strong and the continuation through the pins is second to none. Compared to the Nomad pearl with the same drilling my feet are much further left having to make a 12 and 5 board move left with my feet and target to maintain a good strong angle into the pocket. Ideal for being able to open up a lane. I have used this ball on every pattern except Chameleon where I prefer smoother more medium reacting equipment.

The Second test ball I drilled up to mirror a Mutant Cell Solid that I loved. Dual angle drilling for this was 70 x 5.5 x 35. The original Mutant Cell was drilled up for a later reacting bowling ball on a heavier oil pattern or for a ball to combat the transition where the front part of the lane starts to burn up and the backend has some carry down. The Mutant Cell Pearl, as seen in the video make a much more aggressive move on the back part of the lane towards the pocket and works best on tighter shots where there is not a lot of room to the outside. This ball travels easily through the front part of the lane and makes an explosive move toward the pocket at the break point. I have used this ball on Shark, Scorpion, and Viper mostly. The original Mutant Cell Solid make a much smoother transition. Hitting power is again, excellent for a lack of better words.

My many thanks to Rotogrip for another great release, I will surely be looking forward to more in the future.

browncow7
10-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Very smooth through the heads and rolls great down the lane. I have found myself using it on medium patterns, but I am sure it would work for the long as well.

Utbowler2010
10-13-2010, 08:51 AM
This ball is great! it is very smooth and not angular on the backend of the lane. It is a great piece that i love and will use very much on sport patterns

Thanks Roto Grip

Utbowler2010

Bucko the Bowler
10-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Mutant Cell Pearl – Specs 5x6 with a 2-1/2” buffer 80x5x35 (dual angle)

This ball is very aggressive and needs a lot of oil to get maximum performance. Out of the box, compared to the original Mutant Cell, it goes farther down the lane before the sharp back end reaction. This ball from all angles has great continuation through the pins and works well on all lane surface types. Throwing this bowling ball I have found that it works best on sport patterns because of its ability to create area.

wsubowling
01-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I love my Mutant Cell Pearl. It is one of the strongest balls in my arsenal. Because I do not have much hand, the ball works very well at the start of the day on longer oil.