PDA

View Full Version : Can we prevent Bagging?

Ticker
09-13-2008, 02:23 AM
Other than scratch bowling leagues and tourneys, is there any full proof way to prevent bagging?
Bagging is the bane of bowling and has been around since its beginning, so one would think in all that time, other than scratch, we could have come up with a solution, but alas, I am not smart enough to know how.
Thought maybe some of you had some ideas.

stc17
09-16-2008, 01:08 AM
its impossible to stop bagging

onefrombills
09-16-2008, 02:21 AM
its impossible to stop bagging

this is true

PSBA10
09-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Thats why USBC has rule 319e. It requires all bowlers to keep track of their tournament averages for the last 12 months. If their tournament average is more than 15 pins higher than their league average they have to use their higher of the 2 provided there are 21 games of tournament play.

This works for tournaments, but league is a different story. If you can demonstrate a person is misrepresenting his average you can charge that person with a rule 17a violation. Rule 17a (2) says misrepresenting an average to gain a greater handicap.... This may be tough to demonstrate to the league board, but most times if someone is called on it they straighten themselves out.

In league one night several years ago we had the other team beaten badly. Their anchor got up in the tenth and deliberately ditched his first ball. Then on his second ball, he attempted to throw it between his legs. I stopped him and threatened him with rule 17a. He wanted to argue, but others backed me up. He has not tried to bag since.

onefrombills
09-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Thats why USBC has rule 319e. It requires all bowlers to keep track of their tournament averages for the last 12 months. If their tournament average is more than 15 pins higher than their league average they have to use their higher of the 2 provided there are 21 games of tournament play.

This works for tournaments, but league is a different story. If you can demonstrate a person is misrepresenting his average you can charge that person with a rule 17a violation. Rule 17a (2) says misrepresenting an average to gain a greater handicap.... This may be tough to demonstrate to the league board, but most times if someone is called on it they straighten themselves out.

In league one night several years ago we had the other team beaten badly. Their anchor got up in the tenth and deliberately ditched his first ball. Then on his second ball, he attempted to throw it between his legs. I stopped him and threatened him with rule 17a. He wanted to argue, but others backed me up. He has not tried to bag since.

still with this rule unless their is a tournament club avg ...the average person is not going to keep track of the avg bowling diffrent tournaments