PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Oil Ball - Help a Newbie

ApopkaJoe
10-11-2010, 02:46 PM
My history of balls: Absolute Inferno followed recently by Brunswicks CSystem 4.5. Recently started bowling in a Commercial League at a new house for me and have found the oil ALOT heavier than what I am used to. Three suggestions have come my way... CSystem3.5, Hammers Swagga, and Storm Anarchy. Any suggestions for a tweener with fair to above average rotation; 170 league average?

Dilly Elite Bowling
10-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Check out Elite's stuff. The Alien series and Saber have really smooth reaction to heavy oil. The ball review videos are below. You may have to copy and paste them to check them out. I have the Green Alien (discontinued) and the ball is by far my favorite.

Black Alien - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnGxADPo_I&feature=fvw

Red Alien - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_7Q-Pp0w8k&feature=related

Saber - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt-gUuUDn9k&feature=related

Beech
10-18-2010, 11:44 PM
from what ive heard of heavy oil balls this season ( i could be wrong):
Columbia Pure Physics
Hammer Plauge
Strom Prodigy
Doube clutch (dontknow who makes it)
Ebonite Vital Sign.

im personaly a hammer / storm fan so id go with the plauge its a very strong ball all around and the prodigy is right behind it.

The Mayor
10-21-2010, 02:25 PM
The Storm Prodigy is the best ball on the market in my opinion. It sounds like it would fit your style perfectly. It is a very strong ball that I think would be a nice compliment to the 4.5.

Stormed1
10-22-2010, 01:05 AM
AMF Double Clutch, Global Bank , Columbia Pure Physics, Hammer Plague, Rtot's new Theory (not yet out), Track 916AT (out in a couple weeks) Storm Prodigy are all good choices

vkowalski
10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I have a Brunswick 3.5, needs a ton of oil or it burns up very quickly!!! I also have recently purchased a Track 715T, handles oil well and a much better ball motion in my opinion! Track has really come up with some nice stuff! I have also had a Virtual Gravity and Mutant Cell but both lost there reaction quickly even after constant cleaning and maintenance.
I have to really say I liked both of those balls and would rate them higher than the 3.5. The Track 715T is real close to the Virtual in reaction but actually handles very oily heads better!
Just my two cents

ffemtreed
10-27-2010, 08:29 AM
When there is a lot of oil on the lanes I turn to my Ebonite Mission.

Instead of getting a new ball you might want to find a different line to play on that oil pattern. The brunswick C system are very good balls and you should be able to find a good line on almost any med/heavy oil pattern with that ball.

DanielMareina
11-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I would recommend avoiding Asymetrical equipment if you can. You will find a lot more consistency and control from a symetrical core. When you are new to the oil pattern, it is best to have a ball that you know exactly what it will do. I personally am in love with my Storm Prodigy! I have thrown it and loved it on the PBA Shark, Scorpion, and Chamellion patterns. It works well on a basic house shot for the first game or two, but if your center's house shot is oily, it will be the perfect ball for you. The core is very smooth, but powerful, and the coverstock reads the midlane very well. It is capable of both sitting through the puddle in the middle, and swinging out to the dry. Another ball that is really good for heavier oil conditions is the Reign of Fire by Storm. Very similiar attributes, but slightly less aggressive and a little less power into the pins, but still an amazingly good ball. Good luck!

ajens
11-04-2010, 09:32 PM
What is the lane surface? Wood or Synthetic? Any idea how long the pattern is?

Tinyfxds
01-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I have the Pure Physics and love it. I'm a stroker who doesn't usually struggle with oil conditions. This ball is very consistent for me it tends to hold in the oil and break hard if you get it out wide. The only thing I've noticed is this ball seems to leave splits if you crash through the two pin. I think this happens because the ball has so much drive that a very light hit causes it to blow right through the rack. HOWEVER, do not let that prevent you from buying this ball. A light hit is the bowler missing his mark and not so much the ball