PDA

View Full Version : bowling ball finger holes, inserts.

woohoo19
10-13-2010, 11:16 PM
hello guys. im new here. been bowling off and on for the past few years and have a decent hook going on. just entered in a league with my dad. i have been using his hammer black widow. his fingers are thicker than mine so i gotta quick question on finger inserts. the black widow has inserts of 3/4 on middle finger and 13/16 on ring finger.both of us are left hand bowlers. the fingers dont fit snug into the inserts and i feel like if they fit snug in the inserts i would have better control on the ball. so wat im asking is should i get smaller inserts so my fingers fit in snug?
i dont know much about bowling balls at all so im hoping to get a little help on this. sometimes it just feels like the ball is slipping from my fingers. thanks!

PSBA10
10-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the boards!

Yes get the inserts changed. They are cheap. many bowlers I know (including myself) change them at least once a year to maintain proper feel. They do wear out.

woohoo19
10-14-2010, 02:03 PM
yea i kinda figured. my dad kept saying just the span is what really matters but the more i think about it i think if the insert was just big enough to get my fingers in with a little bit of a tight fit it would feel better. witht the inserts too big it just feels like its putting alot of stress on my hand

PSBA10
10-14-2010, 11:34 PM
I know what you mean. One of the critical requirements to being consistent is to be comfortable with the fit of the ball. Since you are using your dad's ball you may want the pro shop to compare your fitting specs to the ball. You may need to have the holes moved somewhat to have the ball custom fit for your hand. It is much better to have it properly fitted now than to get used to something that is not right for you. Not only will that cause consistency problems, but may also lead to injury, the most common of which is tendonitis.

woohoo19
10-15-2010, 08:55 AM
yea i wanna get a new ball. i think 16 pound might be a little much for me right now. debatting whether to stay with a 15 lb or drop down to 14.

woohoo19
10-17-2010, 10:20 AM
ok i bought some new inserts. now question is which hole do i put the insert in that has that grip thats flat on the bottom part of it? kinda hard to explain. left handed bowler.

Beech
10-18-2010, 11:37 PM
take it to a pro shop to get them put in properly, build a relationship with the proshop owner at your alley, it coud play off they know how to bowl and can show you pointers etc etc. my game improved over 70 pins when i met my powershop owner and got proper span and proper equipment.