PDA

View Full Version : Motiv Recon RX1

mrpinblaster
10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
MOTIV RECON RX1

Coverstock:
The RX1 bowling ball features the MOTIVator-X™ reactive coverstock. It provides a controllable reaction on light to medium oil.
It has a urethane-like reaction to tame friction, yet still provides excellent recovery and hitting power.

Box Finish
The factory finish on the Bright Orange RX1 is 4000 wet sand. This finish will provide length and a smooth breakpoint.

Inner Core
It provides a higher RG to control revs and a moderate differential to smooth out reaction down the lane. The RX1 has an RG of 2.59 and a .025 diff (15# ball).
Compared to the TX1 which has the same cover but different core, the TX1’s Thrust inner core RG is 2.54 with a differential of .052 (15# ball).

The MOTIV™ Recon RX1 features the most visually impactful NeoMark graphic yet. And, as with all NeoMark graphics, the logo is actually part of the coverstock so it can be sanded, polished, or tuned just like any other performance ball.

First Recon drilled:
Axis Point - 5" over 0" up/down
Pin to PAP- 2 1/2"
CG Placement - lower right quadrant, left of pin
Balance Hole – small hole just past axis point
Dual Angle Layout - 60* x 2 1/2" x 25*
Surface Preparation - Out of Box (4000 Wet Sand)

Second Recon drilled:
Axis Point - 5" over 0" up/down
Pin to PAP- 4 1/4"
CG Placement - upper right quadrant, just left of pin
Balance Hole – no hole
Dual Angle Layout - 65* x 4 1/4" x 35*
Surface Preparation - Out of Box (4000 Wet Sand)

Review:
The reaction from this ball is just what Motiv advertises, smooth through the fronts and midlanes then continuous in the back part of the lane. Again this ball is made for short to light oil patterns.

Recommendations:
My recommendations is to use this ball where it shines best and that is very short patterns with very clean backends. Don’t drill this ball weak since the cover is what gets the ball down the lane not the drill pattern. Why drill a second Recon? With the first Recon I drilled which was basically a ‘laydown core’ I was needing just a bit more backend reaction for conditions which contained a blend of oil further down the lane. The second Recon did what I expected, with a more aggressive pin placement, I was able to get more backend reaction for the condition I was trying to overcome.

Summary:
Even with a laydown core, the RX1 did not roll-up earlier like you see with a lot of balls drilled with this pattern. The smooth cover and high RG of this ball makes it travel effortlessly through the fronts and midlanes. This ball is an eye catcher because of its bright orange color and NeoMark graphic. This ball is a must on short pattern with aggressive backends … hint Cheetah pattern!

Ernie Segura
Motiv Seed Program (Michigan)
USBC Certified Silver Level Coach
35 Certified 300’s
19 Certified 800’s