PDA

View Full Version : looking to get into the sport

alsmkt
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
i'm 6 two. never tried at all but i want to buy the gear not rent.

i researched ebay and found some deals like this one but wanted to ask you guys if this is a good deal.
i'm the winning bid right now. i should have asked first before bidding lol. is that a good deal or too much?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200531834566&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

alsmkt
10-25-2010, 03:31 PM
also are those balls good for learning how to hook? i think that's what you guys call it when the balls arcs one way then screams toward the 10 pins. im a bit of a noob at this.

Unclesalty
10-25-2010, 08:29 PM
IMO it looks like everything is in pretty descent condition and that is a very good price. The problem I have with it is the weight differences. Typically you don't want to use two different weights. Repetition in bowling is key and muscle memory plays a big part so changing ball weight every other roll(for strikes and then spares) is not recommended.

As far as the ball, Ebonite Whirl Wind, its a few years old but has good reviews. It isn't an aggressive hook ball but aggressive isn't what you want if you are just learning to hook. So to answer your question, Yes it is a good ball to start with. Any ball that is fitted and drilled to your hand is going to be far better then a "house" ball. There are so many more advantages to having a reactive bowling ball with a core over a plastic bowl without.

Good luck with it and glad you decided to get your own equipment. Your going to love it.

ps. you may want to save up for a 2 ball roller, carrying that much gets old fast. just fyi

http://www.bowlingball.com/ebonite-whirl-wind-bowling-ball.html

WAC4504
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey Alsmkt, first welcome to the boards, second as for buying over the internet I'd be very cautious. One thing you have to remember is that now you will have to have these balls plugged and re-drilled to fit your hand, and the cost of that verys of course, but here it's 40.00. So now you've spent 80.00, if you want the plastic redrilled that's another 40.00. What I'm getting at, is it may be much better to visit your local pro shop where you plan to bowl, and see what they offer. Around here they usually sell used balls for 75.00 which includes drilling. There are several advantages of using your pro shop, but number one is experience. You will probably find that the pro shop is not as expensive as you think. good luck.

ffemtreed
10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
i agree, go visit your local proshop and see what they have to offer you. If money is tight they usually have some used balls there that they can work out something for you.

That plastic spare ball is pretty much worthless because you can get a brand new plastic ball drilled for just a tad bit more than buying a used ball and having it re-drilled.

As for the weight difference between the two balls, I wouldn't worry about it right now. I throw a 15 lb strike ball and a 13 lb spare ball. #1 is because I can throw the 13 lb ball faster so I get less of a hook and can play straighter lines, and #2 I have major wrist tendinitis problems and throwing a 13 lb ball is much easier on my wrist than the 15 lb ball.