PDA

View Full Version : Mental Toughness Study involving Tenpin Bowling

carlin
11-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am conducting a study as part of a Masters program at Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. I would like to invite members of this forum to participate in a research project entitled “Mental toughness in tenpin bowling”.

This study aims to develop an understanding of what “mental toughness” is for tenpin bowlers and what are important aspects of mental toughness in tenpin bowling. Although it has longed been used by athletes and coaches, mental toughness is the latest new area of research in sport psychology. It is widely used in sport arenas, and yet mental toughness is one of the least understood terms in the field of sport psychology. Results of this study will lead to clearer understanding of the construct of mental toughness.

In this project,two questionnaires will be used to measure tenpin bowlers’ mental toughness levels. Bowlers’ performance will also be measured from looking at their bowling results over 5 weeks (with 3 games each week). These questionnaires and weekly results are done and recorded online. The whole process should take approximately 40 minutes.

If you are interested in this study, and wishes to participate or have any questions about it, please send me a private message or an email at carlin.lee@live.vu.edu.au.

I will then provide you with the instructions and links to direct you to do the study. Please note that the information you provide will be confidential.

Cheers
Carlin Lee
Student Researcher
Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia

carlin
11-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

I really do need more participants taking part in the study to have a better understanding of mental toughness in tenpin bowling. So anyone who has some time to spare and is bowling on a weekly basis, please contact me via PM or email me at carlin.lee@live.vu.edu.au

Many Thanks
Carlin

carlin
11-17-2010, 05:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

Before this post vanishes into the tons and tons of other posts, I would like to thank everyone who has participated. However, I am still in need of participants, as I need a minimum of 100.

So please PM or email me and I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks
Carlin

jimgilmore
11-17-2010, 07:44 AM
What would I need to do ?

J Anderson
11-17-2010, 05:52 PM
What would I need to do ?

click on the link in the original post and send an e-mail saying that you are interested in the study. Carlin will e-mail you back with the details on how to participate.

carlin
11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Yup That's right! otherwise just sending me a PM is fine as well.

Thanks!!

J Anderson
11-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Just wondering if you have gotten enough participants yet? I could see if any of my friends from the Monday night sport league are interested if you still need more people.

carlin
11-28-2010, 03:27 AM
I definitely need more!!!

Thanks
Carlin

carlin
12-05-2010, 02:48 AM
bump

J Anderson
12-05-2010, 09:15 PM
bump

bump?

carlin
12-06-2010, 08:11 AM
just "bumping" the post up. Or what should be more appropriate to be written?

J Anderson
12-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Maybe posting that interested bowlers can still get into the study, or that you could use (or still need) more participants.

carlin
12-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes I still need participants!!Thanks for the tip J Andersen...

carlin
12-27-2010, 03:52 AM
still needing participants...

carlin
01-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Last call for participants!!

J Anderson
01-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Last call for participants!!
So is the deadline today or the end of the week?

carlin
01-10-2011, 10:16 PM
probably end of the week..because the study requires 4-5 weeks of bowling results, so to end the data collection by end Jan/early feb, this probably will be the last week i am calling for participants.

Thanks.

carlin
01-26-2011, 08:16 PM
I probably need a few more participants to make sure that the data is full.

So if anyone has their bowling records for 5 weeks of league/practice and have about 20 - 30 minutes to spare, please PM me or send me an email at carlin.lee@live.vu.edu.au

Thanks in advance
Carlin